Southwest Tennessee Community College - Page 12Register Today!
- Jun 21, '10 by illusion5Hi Jenn, thanxs for the encouragement. I've never worked full-time and attended a full-time program at the same time. If things get too tough I'm prepared to quit and take out a boat load of loans to cover food and shelter.
- Jun 22, '10 by jennshort568i know what you mean. i was going to wait until my kids got out of school but i was so anxious to start. they are both in private school. that alone makes me have to keep the paychecks rolling in. at least they are teens. not much longer to go! i will finish the same time they graduate.
- Jun 22, '10 by illusion5Thats great! I know your kids are so proud of their momma!!! I have a mortgage to pay so I will probably have to at least work part-time. I'm ready for things to start but I'm not ready for things to start.
- Jul 12, '10 by sbrbh10Anybody have any info on the starting salary of an RN with an associate degree in Memphis? I know it varies with different hospitals. I have heard some discouraging feedback and I just wondered if any of it was true!
- Jul 13, '10 by illusion5Sorry I don't know. I'm not a RN
- Jul 13, '10 by scifihippieQuote from bbn321WHat have you heard?Anybody have any info on the starting salary of an RN with an associate degree in Memphis? I know it varies with different hospitals. I have heard some discouraging feedback and I just wondered if any of it was true!
Typically it's about $21 with benefits starting for new grads. If you don't need benes like insurance, etc., you can make more like $24-25. Then there is shift differentials that are anywhere from $2 to $4 an hour.
- Jul 15, '10 by klleo27Hey all! Does anyone know what the uniform color/ brand is for southwest college. Do we have to purchase it through the college. Do we wear it only on the clinical days and can we wear casual clothes on the days of actual classes? I would like to purchase my uniform ahead of time, or at least get extra sets now if I can. I will be starting in the fall...
- Jul 15, '10 by scifihippieQuote from klleo27You have to purchase from the college's approved vendor. I would highly recommend waiting until orientation to purchase. The rep is there with samples to try on. Every single person I know who jumped the gun and ordered early ended up having to exchange. They'll give you the costs and a sheet of what to wear when you go to orientation.Hey all! Does anyone know what the uniform color/ brand is for southwest college. Do we have to purchase it through the college. Do we wear it only on the clinical days and can we wear casual clothes on the days of actual classes? I would like to purchase my uniform ahead of time, or at least get extra sets now if I can. I will be starting in the fall...
The one thing you can buy ahead of time are white shoes. All white, absolutely no other color, no little logo that is a color or anything. You can be sent home for improper uniform and get an unsatisfactory for that day. Don't scrimp on shoes. Buy nice comfortable ones. Don't be cheap, your feet will thank you.
I would just buy one uniform. You wear it once a week at clinical at the hospital, so plenty of time to wash and press each week. You won't even need it until about week 4 or 5 b/c you are at the school learning skills the first few clinical weeks and can wear your normal street clothes.
For class, wear what you want. It's normal college casual in class.
- Aug 18, '10 by XandarHey scifihippie,
I've read a bunch of your posts and I think we share a lot in common. I've only made a couple of posts on the forum so I can't PM anyone but I just wanted to know if it might be possible for me to meet you when I start the SW nursing program this spring. Also, I was curious as to what your age is. That's if you don't mind sharing.
- Oct 21, '10 by msturn1975Yes! I did the same in undergrad and finally got my act together and graduated with a 2.9 in 2001. Went back to take pre reqs at SW and made all A's, scored a 151 on NLN, so I applied for 2011.
What weighs more is API/II,etc,NLN, and overall gpa. They are broken down by percentages. An A=4,B=3,etc, NLN scorex10%, it is all on the website where you can figure it out.
I would definitely take courses over summer to get done.