My Story in bullets:
• Graduated w/ BSN 2010>>>>passed NCLEX>>>officially an RN
• Applied for every RN position I could, including SNF/LTC positions
• Tried to join military after being told by EVERYONE the following:
1. "1-2 years acute care experience required"
2. "Experienced RN'S only"
3. "NO NEW GRADS"
4. "Sorry, we are presently not accepting New Grad Nurses"
5. "NEW GRADS NEED NOT APPLY"
• Failed Military physical and was denied waiver. (early 2012)
I was devastated; Needless to say that I became severely depressed. I went through phases of severe depression followed by furious attempts to attain an RN position--anywhere. The same story kept repeating with the same result--me feeling worthless, rejected, inferior, jealous, resentful etc. . .
I didn't give up. I always threatened to, but just couldn't. I kept applying---kept trying. I am pleased to say that I ACCECPTED AN RN POSITION this week. I start next week at a skilled nursing facility.
It took almost 4 years. What a strange trip it has been. I can not even begin to describe the depths of despair I suffered over the last 4 years. Self-hatred, depression, suicidal ideation etc. However. . ..through that I have changed.
I am so humbled and grateful for the opportunity that my graduating class would have scoffed at just 4 years ago. Am I nervous?? GOD YES! I have not assessed a pt. in almost 4 years. But, I know I can do it. It will be rough I know. . ..but I can do it.
Last edit by Joe V on Mar 12
: Reason: replaced font