GOT MY HOSPITAL JOB!!!!Register Today!
This is a discussion on GOT MY HOSPITAL JOB!!!! in Success Stories in Nursing, part of Nursing Career Advice ... For any nurse needing motivation here it is....I have gone through a lot to get here and I am...by 1pinknurse Oct 18, '12For any nurse needing motivation here it is....I have gone through a lot to get here and I am finally here!!! To make a long story short, I graduated as an LVN in 2011. It was hard getting a job and my LVN school didn't help very much as I moved back home which was about 50 miles away. I worked so hard at getting my 1st LVN job. I was willing to do anything and I applied online, in person and called wherever I could. It was so hard and it didn't help that I live in Southern Cali where nurses are very easy to come by. I finally got a break but it was part time & hardly paying any bills. This is also considering I have approx 18 yrs of medical office exp. I waited so long to be a nurse and I wanted it so bad. I knew things would be tough but it was tougher than I ever expected. I worked at my old job as a Grievances & Appeals Nurse. This was a temp to perm position but it wasn't for me. I was back in a cubicle, sitting on my rump. So, not why I fought so dang hard to follow my dreams of becoming a nurse. I knew at 18 when working as a medical asst, that I wanted more. I wanted to hold your hand when you felt scared and I wanted to help anyone who needed it. Aside from working, I was busting my rump looking for a job that better suited my nursing needs. At the end of 2011 I applied at LA County and several months later, I got a letter that I passed!! I was happy but after calling the Nurse Recruitment office day in & day out, it got old fast. I can't tell you how many times I called and the recruiter told me they already received 300 resumes and I was too late. Eventually I gave up!!!! My mother & step mother gracefully passed away and they didn't raise me this way. I persevered and got a job at a psych facility. It was hard but I fell in love with my co-workers & patients. At this point, County or any job hunting was in the back of my mind. Out of the blue I called the Nurse Recruitment office @ County & was told there were 2 LVN I positions & if I wanted to go in to interview, I could. Since I didn't have to be at work till 3pm, it was managable. I interviewed with SDSU (Same Day Surgery Unit) & Med-Surg Telemetry. I just went to these interviews with the thought of "well at least I tried". A month later I received a phone call with an offer of the SDSU position. I cried on the phone & the mere thought brings me to tears today, as my 1st day is this coming Monday!!! It took almost exactly 1 year. The pay is OK but that is NOT why I became a nurse. I waited so long to follow my dreams (many obstacles getting here) & felt so surreal to be here. I wanted to share my story to ANY nurse who is in it for all the right reasons & feels he/she want to give up. You never know when your time will come & NEVER give up on yourself.Last edit by 1pinknurse on Oct 18, '12
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=792888©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 3,858 Views
- Oct 18, '12 by ro'smomGood for you for being persistent! Thanks for the words of encouragement.
- Oct 18, '12 by lvnstudent1So excited for you!!! Your words are so inspiring. I am starting my LVN program this October 29th, and can't wait!
- Oct 18, '12 by 1pinknurseThank you all!!!!! Don't listen to anyone other than a positive voice & your gut instincts. I am a born leader & I thank god my mother left me with her perseverance. Remember that you move no where standing still!
- Oct 18, '12 by seanynjboyThat is just awesome!! Congrats!! Thank you so much for sharing this.
I just passed my LPN NCLEX 2 weeks ago, I am just waiting for my license. I sent out a few resumes the other day. Here's hoping. I am currently in an RN program and graduate in April!
- Oct 19, '12 by NickiLaughsCongratulations!!!
- Oct 19, '12 by 1pinknurseThank you all for your well wishes! I am sure it won't be perfect but I am up for the challenge.
- Oct 19, '12 by Aongroup1990God is extremely good, and all I can say is WOW. never give up infact I have learned from you to keep going, and apply everywhere. and just remember that education will always be important because you will learn more to get the job with skills and knowledge.
- Oct 19, '12 by 1pinknurseYES!!! If I can motivate 1 person then I am happy. Thank you all for your encouragement.
- Oct 19, '12 by BellasMommyOBRNCongrats! It is a wonderful feeling to achieve a goal! Good for you for not giving up!