Been nursing for half a century!Register Today!
This is a discussion on Been nursing for half a century! in Success Stories in Nursing, part of Nursing Career Advice ... It's true! My very first day as a nurse was 1st September 1958! I trained at the Norfolk and...by Daisees Aug 28, '08It's true! My very first day as a nurse was 1st September 1958!
I trained at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital in Norfolk, UK and upon finishing at the end of 1962, went into the orthopaedic theatre where the first surgeon ever to do hip replacements was working. I scrubbed for him regularly and only when I left did I discover that nowhere else was doing hip replacements! Whilst I was working there I also scrubbed for his first knee replacement which - so far as I have been able to discover, was the first done anywhere in the UK and possibly in the world!
During my lifetime, I have worked in 20+ different hospitals and around 35 different operating theatres!
When I started there was two types of bone plate to choose from, the Sherman and the Eggars plates, and just three sizes of screws, 5/32", 7/64" and 5/64". The Thompson and Austin Moore prostheses were available then (as now) for hemiarthroplasty for fractured necks of femur. For internal fixation of NOF was a variety of tri-fin nails or the McCloughlin four fin nails and accompanying plates. Intramedullary nailing was with a Kuntscher clovereafe shaped nail for femora and round bodied Rush nails for forearms. How things have changed!!
This was me at the start of my training!
Rejoice with me, my new friends! For I am STILL WORKING and I shall be 67 in 3 weeks time! Life has been fantastic and though the pay was usually pretty lousy, the other rewards have been indescribably wonderful!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=329448©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 9,257 Views
- Aug 28, '08 by nessajune21*whistle whistle* Look at that foxy young nurse!
Congratulations on your achievement!!
- Aug 28, '08 by PICNICRNCongratulations!!! Thank you for all of your years of service and the impact you have made in your patient's lives!
P.S. LOVE the picture!!! Thanks for sharing!!
- Aug 28, '08 by nrsang97Wow! Congrats on still going strong.
- Aug 28, '08 by NATmicuRNCongrats that so awesome you have so much to look back on and to look forward to!!!
- Aug 28, '08 by RN1989And when I think of all the rest of us sitting around here griping and moaning......you've seen LOTS more over the years than most people in this business.
- Aug 28, '08 by Vito AndoliniMay God bless and prosper you as you continue to help His children.
- Aug 28, '08 by christieb01Congratulations Daisees! That is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your story- you are truly an inspiration!
- Aug 28, '08 by namaste_71How awesome! Congratulations.
I bet you're happy the days of the starched cap and uniform are over. :-)
- Aug 28, '08 by herring_RN
I know only your years in nursing.
You have lived a wonderful, productive, useful life.
I know you will continue to be the wonderful person most nurses are!
I was a candy striper, not yet a nurse in 1958.