Anyone start their career late in Life?
- 7Oct 21, '05 by toddsterI would be happy to hear from anyone here that started their career late in life, perhaps Nursing is a second career. For a number of reasons, I am seriously considering changing careers, and for a number of reasons am looking at a career as a Nurse as a possibility. I am a 44/yo Male with a BA and a Masters degree, though not in life sciences, BA in business and Masters in Information Systems. I would be most appreciative to anyone with similar circomstances to share their experiences. I will be reposting this every few days so If I offend, I extend my humble appology in advance.
- 230,786 Visits
- 4Oct 21, '05 by Mona MonaWell, after obtaining her Occupational Therapy degree at 45, and being right about me going back to school for Nursing, my mom, at 46, has put herself on the waiting list for the same Nursing program as me. She'll probably be 50-51 when she actually gets in. It's never too late!
- 6Oct 21, '05 by donsterRNTodd,
I'm 48 and in my first semester of nursing school. I already have a degree in business, so this is a second career for me.
And, believe it or not, I'm not the oldest in my class. There are lots of us out there, and these forums are a great place to connect with others who can share and inspire.
Much good luck and success to you, whatever you decide to do.
- 0Oct 21, '05 by KatieBellQuote from toddsterWhy repost? I don't get it.I will be reposting this every few days so If I offend, I extend my humble appology in advance.
In answer to your question: Many many people are either going in to nursing for the first time after another career (lots and lots of IS/IT people here), and many people are also re-entering the field after being away for a while.
You might enjoy visiting the male nurses and male nursing students forums as well- lots of guys in a similar situation.
There are lots of opportunities out there! Go for it!!!
- 8Oct 21, '05 by peacefulGraduated from nursing school (BSN) at age 47. Fair warning, nursing school was hell. 3 years of pure studying, clinicals and exhaustion. Would i do again, yes. My options and choices now in my nursing career are limitless. I feel more empowered in my career compared to before nursing. More choices and more options than other careers. There are many paths in nursing. The downside also is hospital staff nursing is more exhausting and stressful than i anticipated. Good luck in your career decisons. Sounds like you have some exciting choices ahead of you. Do not let age hold you back one bit.