Quote from CRNA 2K10
My program starts in Jan 2008. I need advise from SRNAs like what things to do and don't to be a successful SRNA like How much time I should spend to study every day. tips to balance study and clinicals. Any advice will be highly appereciated.
Starting in January 2008, where? I just finished my first year and the hardest semester so far was the past fall. This break is soooooooooo nice... My advice would be:
1. Whatever great nurse you were got you to CRNA school. So now it is time to put your big head and your pride and unit attitude in your back pocket never to be taken out until you graduate! Seriously, people have been kicked out of programs due to their "attitude".
2. Your favorite past time reading should be "Clinical Anesthesiology" by Morgan & Mikhail. Really...
3. Have a life! Keep your most important friends close to you. You need an avenue to for decompression. I have a friend who lives near me and I visit her with a cup of Startbucks after most clinical days before going home just so I can wind down!
4. I just cleaned my house after 2 months of only vacuuming right before the holidays. It is OK! A clean house won't grant you an MSN in Anesthesia!
5. If you have kids, prepare them to the new rules. When mommy or daddy is studying don't bother her/him. You'll lose a day of video games. That usually straightens them right out!
6. Make friends at school that you get along with. They'll be your study partners, misery sharers, and story listeners. Because there is only so many intubation stories your spouse and family can stand listening to. And my husband is an RN, even he got sick of it.
7. Nobody will understand how hard this program is. When they hear a Master's program they think it is intense. No this is not intense, it is exhausting. I am talking fever of unknown origin, unending malaise, constant brain congestion. Stock up on Excedrin, Tylenol, and Prevacid!!!
8. They say it is alll worth it in the end. Can't wait till the end.
Hmmmmm... There is so much more but this will get you started...