Quote from beedog13
Anyone using Army Reserve STRAP?
Just doing some evaluation and soul searching...
I am currently applying to CRNA schools and have an interview lined up in Nov. @ U. of Cincinnati...awaiting other invites too.
I am 36 and have been an Army Reservist for 19yrs (will hit 20yrs in Jan '08 @ age 37). I spent 15 yrs enlisted/4+ commissioned and will pin on CPT (pay grade O-3E >20yrs) after Jan. 08 board. I know I would get to 1380 my drill pay ($762/month pre-tax for me) which will be alot better than any new LT's with no time in (I'll get to keep my rank since I am already Nurse Corps). I also would get the VA chapter 1607 REAP GI Bill from my Enduring Freedom/Noble Eagle deployment (extra $430/month--not taxed) I think the current STRAP stipend is $1235/month (pre-tax). I already contracted for the $50K Health Professional Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP) when my AOC (66E) went on the critical wartime shortage list in 2006, but I will only have $30K left to use on CRNA school (paying off undergrad with the first $20k payment).
I also recently learned about an available Reserve Tricare program that costs $253/month to cover a family (sounds cheaper than health insurance purchased through school).
1) Does the STRAP, GI Bill, and drill pay kill you on your FAFSA for other types of aid (subsidized loans, grants, needs-based scholarships)?
2) Is the current stipend $1235?
3) Would anyone rather have taken out private loans as opposed to using the STRAP/HPLRP and the obligations incurred?
4) Are you elligible for Army Tuition Assistance (TA) too while in CRNA school (I think it is like $4500 per year)?
I have alot of huge decisions to make regarding my Army Reserve career--I could retire in Spring '08--any input would be greatly appreciated.
I was curious about some of the same questions.
I'm an RN with my ADN and I'm going to be starting a RN-MSN program this Fall. I've been researching military loan repayment since I've spent over 10 years enlisted in the Army already.
1) What rank do you hold when you're drilling under STRAP? What rank are you commissioned as when you're done with school and direct commission, as well as whether or not the time one serves while going to school under STRAP is counted towards promotion/time in grade.
2) Can you do the STRAP program as well as the National Guard/VA concurrent obligation?
3) How does the drill weekends work while in the STRAP program? Do we pick a medical unit near our home or a clinic?
4) Can someone agree to the STRAP program as well as the VA/National Guard concurrent program?
5) When does the Officer go to Direct Commission school in the STRAP program? Before or after graduation?
6) I'm also wondering if since I'm getting a BSN as well as an MSN if I can count both towards the STRAP program. I should be finished with my BSN within the Fall Semester and immediately begin my MSN since it's one program. Will the STRAP cover that as one program?
7) Lastly, I'm told that the only MSN programs the Army covers under STRAP are NP and CRNA. I'm going for my degree in public healthcare and I'm curious if there has been any change in the requirements.
Hope someone can help!