Samford University FNP Program?Register Today!
- by nurseabby28 Jul 25, '11Has anyone out there attended Samford University's FNP Program? I would like feedback on how you like the classes, instructors, etc.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=595531©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 4,402 Views
- Jul 28, '11 by diesel66I haven't attended yet, but have admission for this Fall to the FNP program. Are you planning on applying?
- I have been at Samford since 6/10 and am finishing up a hellish summer semester of Peds and OB/GYN....I have one more semester and I am done in December '11...I cannot speak as a comparison using other schools but I can say without a DOUBT that Samfords program and its instructors are 110% top notch!! You will NOT regret getting your FNP education from there...:-)
- Jul 30, '11 by diesel66Robbnp22,
Do they make you write a lot of papers and stuff for your non-clinical classes?
- Id say its an average amount to be honest....havent felt as overwhelmed by papers or discussion questions as I did in my BSN program...and they get less as your clinical classes advance and become more short case studies vs papers..
- Jul 30, '11 by diesel66I appreciate your quick response!
I start next month at Samford and am psyched! Any helpful tips you'd care to share will be appreciated!
- No problem...however, consider the fact that Im awake at 0250 to be partly because I am an FNP student ;-) Its actually an amazing program and the school and faculty are flat out fantastic!! :-) Congrats on your choice, you wont regret it!
PS-howd you get your screen name? Fellow Diesel driver?
- Jul 30, '11 by nurseabby28I have an interview for Samford's FNP Program this coming week. Any suggestions? I'm excited about my interview, but a little nervous. I really hope to get in for this fall. I've heard so many good things about Samford's various programs (nursing and non-nursing), and I would LOVE to have the opportunity to continue my education at this institution.
- Aug 1, '11 by robbnp22Abby,
I didnt have to do an interview, not sure why, so I cant give you any sound advice there but you sound like youve got your act together and are eager to be a Samford Bulldog...:-) I wish I knew who might be giving your interview and I could give you some heads up on how they are....I can tell you that Samford is a Christian school with those values but is not "over the top" with religion or anything...I would certainly NOT hesitate to mention that youve polled forums about schools and Samford got rave reviews :-D...If you have any info on who might be doing your interview, let me know...I know who the interim FNP Chair is and can give you tips if its her :-)
Good luck either way! You'll do great!!
- Aug 1, '11 by diesel66Thanks, Rob!!
Abby-- IMO if you've scored an interview, then you're pretty much in! I did mine via remote webcam(the school sent me a link to a website and the time to log in). The interviewers consisted of one faculty member and one administrative head. I was basically asked to introduce myself and then simple questions such as why be a nurse practitioner, etc. They were more interested in finding out what plans I had as far as managing school and work. The interviewers spent most of the time explaining me the classes and clinical hours involved, so I felt very positive about being selected. They were extremely polite and eager to answer all my questions.
Just be honest and answer their questions as best you can. It would also help if you had a few questions of your own to ask them at the end.
Good luck! Hopefully we will be classmates!