Passing the AANP certification examRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Passing the AANP certification exam in Student Nurse Practitioner, part of Advanced Practice Nursing ... I just passed the AANP exam! It was HARD!!!:eek: I am a FNP that worked in primary care for three...by kritlyn Apr 19, '11I just passed the AANP exam! It was HARD!!! I am a FNP that worked in primary care for three years but then left work to raise my children so have not worked in many years. I needed to re-test in order to get my certification back. I have been taking CEUs and studying for a full year.
The last three months I have focused my studies on the certification exam. I took Margaret Fitzgerald's live FNP certification exam prep course. It was nice to network with other NPs (mostly students); however, I would recommend buying the CDs over the live course as you can listen to the lectures over and over again until you fully comprehend the material. The handbook MF gives out at the live course is exceedingly helpful. I studied it cover to cover and now know all that helpful info to use in my practice. I bought Fitzgerald's Certification Exam and Practice Prep. book while at the review course and found it helpful, as well.
Other resources I used... Maria Condina Leik's FNP Cert. Intensive Review book - concise and to the point. I carried this smallish -sized book around with me and studied whenever I found myself with a few extra minutes - waiting in a Dr. office, at a restaurant, etc. I also bought the A. Hollier book of practice tests for ANP/FNP. I found the questions in that book very stimulating and challenging, quite helpful -great review book. I hear she also has a good review course on CD. I spent a GREAT deal of time with my Barbara Bates Physical Assessment textbook and I cross-referenced with another advanced practiced PE book. I must say I was disappointed to find that all the exam - prep books I used were a bit outdated on one topic or another - and I made sure to buy the latest edition of each. I imagine it takes quite a while to get a book to print and by the time it's approved some of the info. is already outdated. Margaret Fitzgerald said that most of the info. on the exam is about one to two years dated so the "hot off the press" mateial will not be on the test, and I found that to be true.
It was quite difficult! In a way I am glad, as I do feel very challenged and I believe nurse practitioners need to be held to very high standards as we are so regularly challenged in the field. I would encourage you to study as much as possible. Know that what was on my exam may well be very different from what may be on yours as the tests are randomly generated.
Now I need to find some kind soul to precept me as I have been out of work so long and do believe I need some practice before just diving back it! Please keep your fingers crossed for me! Good luck on the exam!Last edit by sirI on Apr 19, '11
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=554823©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 4,586 Views
- Nov 7, '11 by cooldesi80Hi my name is sheea, congratulations on passing....I wanted to know if took Maria Condina Leik's live course materials that i can sharing or purchase for passing my exam from you. please let me know.
- Nov 8, '11 by kritlynI did not take Leik's course but did use her review book. It was helpful to use with other resources. I would not rely on it or any one book alone. I took Fitzgerald's review course and it was very helpful. Good luck
- May 20, '12 by Kyla B.I have been studying and using all of these resources as well. I am wondering what percentages you were getting in them on practice tests and how that correlated to your score on the real exam. Thanks!
- May 21, '12 by kritlynI did well on practice exams and also scored well on The AANP Test. d o not really know my ANCC score - just was relieved to know I passed. If you are having trouble with the practice tests I think you should study more before taking the certification tests. I found the practice test to be easier than The actual test - so study alot and take the exam when you are ready.
- Jul 30, '12 by mae24Congrats to you!!!!I have now taken the ANCC and AANP exam and have failed both. Is there anyone out there that does one to one tutoring? I know that I am not a great test taker and when I sat for the NCLEX back in 08 and I to take it twice. I really need helping with test taking and passing this exam. truthfully it is like a monkey or should I say gorilla on my back....HELP!!!!
- Jul 30, '12 by shadowflightnurseCongrats on passing...again!! Thanks for the helpful info on all of the pre resources. I hope to need it soon...in about 1 1/2 yrs