Possibly moving 3-6 months after graduation, what can I do in the mean time?

Nurses New Nurse

Published

1. What should I do if I have to move 3-6 months post graduation?

Continue education, possibly online
      Transfer to PCT position, work this until you move
      Nurse residency (if there isn't a contract)
      Find a full-time position, and leave when you have to
      Other

8 members have participated

Specializes in NICU.

Hey everyone,

I will be graduating in August of 2019. My husband is planning on going active duty in the Army after I graduate. He's been in the Reserves, so he won't be doing Basic or AIT again, hopefully. However, we won't have a definitive timeline of when we would have to pack up and leave.

I don't want to have a gap between graduation and starting a job, as I will have student loans that I want to make sure I start paying off.

Do nurse residencies require a contract? Should I continue my education? What would you guys recommend?

Luckily, I currently work for a hospital where I was hoping to transfer to a new part-time position within the next few months. I am looking at the Patient Care Technician role, as one of the requirements is having one complete semester of clinicals done. Would you recommend I work this job and apply for a nursing position after we move?

Thank you so much in advance!

I keep thinking you will have a good reputation where you currently work. Stay on there, get the PCT job. Talk to human resources, your supervisor, etc. about your situation. I'm an optimist, but I think they'd be willing to work with you.

I'm kind of confused about the details, but I'd think they'd let you work as an RN?

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

Planning to join the Army and actually joining usually results in a lot of time in between, not to mention the months he would be away for basic and any specialty training before finally going to his first duty station. Look for a job after you graduate, don't hesitate. Some employment contracts also have a clause for military families, so that might work in your favor as well.

Specializes in Psych, HIV/AIDS.

Viealle, 2019 is quite a few months away and a lot can happen in those months (better than a year, considering when you graduate). It is good that you are planning ahead. However, I agree with what Pixie points out to you.

Will the Army allow you to go along with your husband when he initially signs up? If not, you are better off getting a full-time position and proceed from there. As you mentioned...those loans do have to be paid. It takes quite a lot of time for the wheels of the Army, et al to gear up.

Try not to worry yourself, much can happen in those months. Take care.

Specializes in NICU.

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for your input so far. I really appreciate everyone's feedback! I ignorantly forgot to mention that he is currently serving in the Reserves, and would be re-upping his contract to Active Duty instead of continuing in the reserves. Sorry for that! I will definitely try not to be so concerned with trying to figure out something so far in advance. If you all have any advice, I would love to hear! Thanks again.

I moved a month after graduation. If I were you, I'd get a PCT job while you're in school and take your NCLEX as soon as you graduate. It was a pain to try to bet licensed in a state different from the one where I completed my education; it's easier to get a license and transfer it. Because your timeline is unknown, you can probably get some nursing experience at your PCT hospital before you go and that will help you to find a new job.

+ Add a Comment