Two PRN jobs or one full time

Nurses Career Support

Published

A few months ago, I took a prn job at clinic but apart of hospital. My one prn job was cut recently out of the blue and the hours were horribly unstable. I am new to the prn world..is this the norm for prn? I took the position because my manager promised me full time hours and had higher pay rate. Anyways, due to this I was looking into doing two prns or a full time position. I'm deciding better to take two prn jobs closer to home or one full time that will be an hour and 15 minute commute? I live in a small town and full time jobs are hard to come by or much competition for the few that do open. Two prn vs full time. I'm a new single parent so no benefits from anyone.

I make a living off two PRNs.

If I get fewer shifts than I want, I do projects around the house, and catch up on whatever needs to be done.

If I need to make more money, I take every shift I can, even if I don't like the hours, or even if it means too many shifts in a row.

The real question is, can you deal with variability?

If you don't make as much as you hoped, does somebody show up at your house and take stuff you like?

If your life revolves around a steady income, PRN is not the way to go.

BTW- full time hours on PRN is probably illegal, but nobody enforces it. The laws changed when the insurance laws changed. Legally speaking, having somebody work full time and not offering benefits is a no no. I worry that somebody will remeber this and start cutting my hours. I often work full time at my primary PRN.

Specializes in Pedi.
A few months ago, I took a prn job at clinic but apart of hospital. My one prn job was cut recently out of the blue and the hours were horribly unstable. I am new to the prn world..is this the norm for prn? I took the position because my manager promised me full time hours and had higher pay rate. Anyways, due to this I was looking into doing two prns or a full time position. I'm deciding better to take two prn jobs closer to home or one full time that will be an hour and 15 minute commute? I live in a small town and full time jobs are hard to come by or much competition for the few that do open. Two prn vs full time. I'm a new single parent so no benefits from anyone.

In general, unstable hours are not uncommon in the per diem world. When I worked in the hospital, our per diems hardly ever worked. We were very often overstaffed and per diems were the first canceled because they don't get paid if they don't work. I worked per diem at a boarding school for a year and a few months and regularly worked 2 days/week. If school got canceled because of weather or there was an in-service day or a Monday holiday, I didn't work and didn't get paid.

How are you getting health insurance for you and your child if you're only working per diem? For me, benefits and a stable income are critical so I'd take the full-time job.

Yeah I'm new to the prn world and the fact that my job and hours can be cut just like that is not what I need. So didn't know if doing two prns or one full time was worth it. I would guess full time position more stable when it comes to hours and job not being eliminated?

Specializes in Pedi.
Yeah I'm new to the prn world and the fact that my job and hours can be cut just like that is not what I need. So didn't know if doing two prns or one full time was worth it. I would guess full time position more stable when it comes to hours and job not being eliminated?

Yes it is more stable. And also offers benefits.

I absolutely love being prn!! I am prn at a few places and never have trouble getting shifts I want and my paychecks are nice. I like that I can make work fit MY routine. I can easily work around school, kids, doctor's appointments, etc.

Specializes in Emergency / Disaster.

I am still in school - but I have plenty of experience being a single mom. I spent YEARS worrying about how I was going to make ends meet. She had health insurance because of her father, but I rarely did. I knew I had his child support money, but it didn't even cover all of my rent or car payment. I knew that if we were going to eat - I had to have money. I've always had at least 3 jobs - that way if one fell out, there would be another to take its place. Most of those times, teaching aerobics was one of those jobs. It didn't pay much, but it covered my gym membership, her swimming lessons (we live near the water so being comfortable in the water was important) and gas for my car. I personally would not be comfortable with 2 PRN jobs. I'd want something full time and then another PRN job. I would want to know I had health insurance and a steady, reliable income. You live off of your "main" job, and use the other job to pack away savings. My kid is in college now and I don't have to worry about her anymore (well not really feeding her anyway). This is really something that you have to decide and be comfortable with. I know this is hard for you. One day you will wake up and realize that you aren't making pancakes on Saturday morning or watching cartoons. First you will cry, and then you will realize that you made it. Sometimes I miss making pancakes, but I surely do not miss the stress of worrying about making sure we had pancake mix to make them with. The crazy thing is pancake mix is only $1. Its so hard for me to believe that being able to afford pancake mix was one of my biggest worries. I wish you the best!!

+ Add a Comment