New Grad...To include clinical information or to not!?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Hi! I am going to graduate my ADN program in 3 months and I am currently perfecting my resume and cover letters for residency positions.

I need some advice....Do I include all of my clinical rotations (including things like LTC) or if I am applying to particular hospitals can I just include my senior practicum and clinical rotations at that particular hospital? I feel like listing all of my LTC experience (my program unfortunately had a lot of it) isn't super helpful to employers unless I am applying to a LTC facility....

Here is what my resume looks like with only the "relevant" clinical experience:

Name

[email protected]

Compassionate and hard-working new graduate with demonstrated leadership capabilities seeking a nurse residency position to transition successfully into an independent and professional patient care provider.

(123)-123-1234

Address

Address...zip code...

RELEVANT CLINICAL EXPERIENCE

-Hospital I am applying to Medical Center, Location

April 2018-June 2018

Senior Preceptorship in the Renal Telemetry Unit

Labor and Delivery, Acute Pediatrics Rotations

-Another hospital owned by the same people that I am also applying to, Location

September 2017- December 2017

Medical Surgical Rotations, Operating Room Rotations,

Psychiatric Rotations

EDUCATION

Nice cool Community College, Location- Associates in Applied Science (Nursing)

September 2016- June 12th, 2018

3.9 GPA

WORK EXPERIENCE

-Retail store at the mall- Keyholder, In-Store Trainer

June 2015- Present

Assisting with onboarding training for all new staff and ongoing training for core staff.

Providing excellent customer service and leadership/guidance to other team members.

Providing effective feedback and coaching to other staff members and other leadership team members to increase their product knowledge and encourage positive shop floor behaviors.

-Retail store at the mall- Seasonal Sales Associate

June 2017- September 2017

Met own sales goals through genuine customer interactions, product knowledge, and communication with management and other staff members.

-Frozen Yogurt Place- Team Member

January 2015- June 2015

Opened and closed the store registers and ensured the store was cleaned and fully stocked throughout the day.

Provided excellent service to customers. Communicated effectively to other team members and management.

-SKILLS

Proficient in EPIC EMR

Strong Interpersonal Communication Skills

Leadership Experience

Critical Thinking

Professionalism

Effective Problem Solving

Working Efficiently in a Team Setting

Trained in culturally-competent and age appropriate care

Experienced at developing plan of care to reflect identified needs and expected outcomes

Practiced in purposeful hourly patient rounding

LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS

BLS for Healthcare Providers, American Heart Association (AHA) Renewal: December 2019

NCLEX Anticipated in June 2018

LANGUAGES

Oral and written English proficiency

Any advice? Should I add the rest of my clinicals? Thanks!

Specializes in Geri - Edu - Infection Control - QAPI.

Is the New Grad Residency Program general or is there an opportunity to work in specialty areas? Like, I wouldn't include pedi rotation info if the residency program has nothing to do with pedi.

I would add some detail to your Relevant Clinical Experiences section. Was there a skill specific to those units you were able to practice? I would remove the skills section, and list those under the jobs and/or clinical experiences where you used/practiced them.

Do you speak any other languages? I would exclude that section.

Good Luck!

pug-nurse

4 Posts

The residency offers specialties! I'm trying for NICU or L&D so that's why I mentioned the peds rotation!

That's a good idea, thank you!!

Lemon Bars

141 Posts

I am about to graduate from a BSN program. We are being told to list all of our clinical rotations and hours on our resumes. I'm no expert on resumes, but it seems to me that if you list any of your clinical rotations you ought to list them all, otherwise it may look like you had barely any clinical hours in your program.

Specializes in Telemetry, Med-Surg, Peds.

I added my clinical rotation information to my resume. When I went to my first and only interview they asked me about my clinical rotations. I pointed out that they were listed on my resume but would be glad to expand and verbally list them. They were surprised and just looked over the resume. They asked a couple questions and mentioned how glad they were that I listed them. I can happily report that I was offered the position at the end of the interview. I am going to start my second week on Monday. í ½í¹Œí ¼í¿¾

+ Add a Comment