Professional organizations

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Hello everyone!

I am new to AllNurse (Hello!) and also new to the nursing field as a new nurse. I work in critical care, more specifically stepdown ICU at a trauma 1 hospital. It's pretty advanced compared to other stepdown units so it's pretty much ICU. Nonetheless, I wanted recommendation on which professional organizations to join. I was pretty active in nursing school and attended multiple conferences with ANA (which I'm no longer a part of). I love to read about EVB practices and implementing them.

I recently became a member of ACCN and wanted to explore other organizations to join. I did a little research a found that ANA is unfavored as a RN.

Many advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Once again, hello everyone!

allnurses Guide

Nurse SMS, MSN, RN

6,843 Posts

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Why is ANA unfavorable? Curious. I have never heard that.

llg, PhD, RN

13,469 Posts

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

What organizations have your colleagues at work found helpful?

What are your long-term career goals? Maybe an organization associated with your career goals might be of interest to you.

About ANA -- it is a large organization that takes a stand on political issues. Some nurses support that: others don't. Those that don't agree with some of its positions on certain issues might not like the organization because of that ... but I don't understand the "unfavored as an RN" remark, either. I've been an ANA member for years and years.

+ Add a Comment