Violence in Nursing

There's an epidemic of violence towards nurses, and a cultural acceptance of abusive behavior. Why is violence towards nurses so pervasive? Nurses General Nursing Article

Violence in Nursing

When Ashley became a nurse, she dreamed about helping patients and relieving suffering. She never thought she'd be hurt, much less attacked. Her second day on the job, a patient threw a heavy tray across the room, splashing her with orange juice and bits of scrambled eggs. The tray hit a nearby wall, narrowly missing her ankles.

The reason? "I told you I don't like scrambled eggs!!"

She froze, stunned and speechless. Nothing in her upbringing or training had prepared her for this. She could not understand why a patient who was receiving care (in this case, free care) would be abusive and not appreciative.

The news has reported several horrific incidents of late. Recently a nurse at Delnor Hospital/Northwestern in Geneva IL was taken hostage in her own hospital on May 13, 2017.

In another incident, also in Illinois, on June 6th at St. Joseph's in Joliet, an inmate used a makeshift weapon to take a nurse assistant and a guard hostage.

On June 4th at Amita Medical in Bolingbrook, a nurse in the ED was punched in the face by a patient.

We all heard of the incident that occurred in a New York hospital June 24th, where the perpetrator was a disgruntled fired physician (resigned due to alleged sexual assault against colleagues) who brought in an assault rifle, killing one physician and wounding 6 others.

Type II Violence

Abuse can include yelling, cursing, scratching, spitting, hitting, kicking, and verbal threats. Patients with behavioral health problems, alcohol intoxication, substance abuse, prolonged waiting times in the ED- all can contribute to violent behavior.

Called type II violence, there is an epidemic of patient/visitor perpetrated violence towards nurses. Nurses (and nursing assistants in particular) are at highest risk for being injured through workplace violence.

Hospitals have become hazardous workplaces. The ED setting, in particular, is prone to violence. Cognitive impairment and demanding to leave are documented causes as are situational catalysts such as the use of restraints. There's extremely high stress, a dynamic workplace, and the violence can come from family members, or patients desperately seeking drugs.

Increased Incidence

"B****!" Where's my pain medication?!!" The vast majority of nurses have been subjected to verbal abuse.

In 2015, OSHA reported patient handling and workplace violence injury rates were highest in inpatient adult wards; these rates were also elevated in outpatient emergency departments, urgent care, and acute care centers and adult critical care departments.

Culture of Acceptance

There's a culture of dismissing and minimizing violence towards nurses. Nurses believe in "doing no harm" and will put patient safety before their own.

Teachers are not expected to tolerate violence. If the same patient who yells and hits a nurse acted out similarly in the DMV, in court, or even at a fast-food restaurant, they'd most likely be arrested.

Culture of Non-Reporting

There are barriers and attitudes toward reporting. Nurses themselves under-report violence. Nurses fail to report, believing it is just part of the job, and that managers may be non-responsive.

Staff is not clear on what to report, or how to report it.

For all these reasons, often traditional industrial injury reporting is bypassed in patient/visitor to worker violence. Organizations do not encourage reporting; they encourage a lack of reporting.

Support and Safety

What support is there for a nurse with an abusive patient? Not much. She can wait until the violence has escalated and call security. Security is often not well trained and I've seen them at a loss; well-meaning, but at a loss.

In Ashley's case, she called security, who responded and alternately tried to pacify the patient (egg and orange juice were still splattered all across the floor) and admonish him. The admonishment was in a "Hey buddy, no more of this naughtiness, OK" in a male-bonding manner.

What's Needed

• More training for staff to recognize impending signs of violence. There are effective methods to mitigate escalating violence but they must be taught. In some states, OSHA requires training for staff working in violence-prone areas such as ED and Labor and Delivery
  • Legislation. Thirty-two states have made it a felony to attack nurses. Nurse need protection and support.
  • A zero tolerance for violence. Nurses are conditioned to accept violence.
  • Workplace violence surveillance to determine where interventions and resources need to be employed. Employers have a duty to provide a safe workplace for staff and patients.
  • Increased security.
  • Staff support and debriefing after a violent incident.
  • Encouragement of reporting. It should be clear that the expectation is to report violence and to clearly define the boundaries of unacceptable behavior.
  • *Public education about the proper use of emergency rooms.

I believe employers have a responsibility to provide a safe workplace. Not everything can be prevented, but it seems the signs are clear that violence against nurses is escalating. What do you think will help?

Occupational traumatic injuries among workers in health care facilities-United States, 2012-2014. Health Care, 2012. Retrieved July 24, 2017 Occupational Traumatic Injuries Among Workers in Health Care Facilities - United States, 212-214

This will keep occurring as long as patients are not held accountable, the story of throwing the tray? THAT patient should have been charged with assault, they can arrest him as soon as he leaves the hospital. Let him use his defense of not liking eggs on a judge and see how far it gets him.

Patients with dementia at al brain dysfunction excluded the rest should be dealt with in same manner they would be if they did this at a restaurant. Pain, drug use and being drunk do not work as a defense anywhere else and they shouldn't work in hospitals. People with all manner of pain and illness manage to conduct themselves appropriately every where else including the doctors office where they are arrested for assault.

I guarantee a whole lot of patients would behave in a more civil fashion if they knew they were going to be arrested for assault. I work in corrections and they are charged with assault if they spit on, hit or throw something at the nurse.

This needs to be policy in hospitals. Every hospital touts a zero-violence policy yet steps back and allows it when it is being committed by a patient. This needs to change.

I consider it criminal. If there is not another reason they cannot help they need to be held accountable. Same thing which would occur if they committed

assault and battery at a fast food place; have them arrested and see how far "I was angry", goes as a defense before a judge.

Yes you can. Spitting on someone is assault.

I would press charges, I have a friend with whom I went to college who had several vertebral fractures being thrown over a gurney by a drunk. The drunk patient tried to defend his actions saying he was drunk. It did not fly and now he has a felony record.

This needs to happen much more often.

I'm with you!

I love this site because it is realistic. I get so tired of reading articles that either ignore, or sugar coat the problems in nursing. Anyway, I work full time in a clinic where I do not do a lot of direct care. I kept my per-diem med/surg job to keep up with my skills and for some extra income. It became so bad that I finally called it quits. I am totally done with floor nursing, and hope to never return to it. I would have to be quite desperate to do so.

I have been a nurse for over 20 years, and it seems to be getting worse. I blame most of it on the drug problem. I started to feel like a narcotics dealer. There seems to have been quite the increase in code grays called (dangerous person) than ever before. As agency nurse, I was often treated poorly by the staff as well. On one occasion, I called a staff member by the wrong name, and she threatened to key my car. I may not make the money that I used to, but my stress level is lower, and I do not have to put up with things like this. It is a shame because I too got into nursing to help people, but most of the time it just feels like everyone is angry with you.

You nailed it!

I can speak from experience- patients have a right to switch inpatient physicians every time they are in the hospital. If the hospital denies you this right, you should see a lawyer.

As someone with experience in healthcare management (and pursuing organizational leadership with my MBA), I think one thing missing from this thread is cause for workplace violence in healthcare/nursing. Personally, I believe this is derived from administration and leadership. Even when employees are hurt by patients who do not have the cognitive ability to understand their actions, it is still considered assault. I think this is a common misconception within the industry. One thing you should know is that reporting abusive behavior generally does not legally impact on these types of patients if they have a medical diagnosis protecting them. Like reporting medical errors, there is a stigma and fear of repercussion from leadership when reporting happens. Not to mention, can we just address the topic of under staffing as a safety issue? There are so many contributions to the issue of safety (or lack of) in the medical field and whether or not you all have 6+ patients, you must take the time to document. If patient satisfaction goes down, make sure you chart that you had to document a safety issue and did not have time to finish x,y, & z. Documentation is everything. OSHA has guidelines that every institution must follow and it is amazing how many healthcare facilities do not.

Not only that, but it will save you legally. If God forbid you ever become seriously injured (or discriminated against, or any of the other horrible things I've read on this forum), you will have that report to help you form a case. Honestly, the more money our healthcare facilities must spend on these issues, the more they will pay attention. Maybe it is time to bring attention to them legally. If you have something you're not sure about but just want to talk about, I work with an advocacy group. We have established professionals who are able to listen to you and put you in touch with the right people whether that may be a physician, a lawyer or some other experienced provider. As I said we are an outreach group looking to help people so all of our assistance is free. We are based in Philadelphia but work globally. If you'd like to hear more or have us reach out to you, please shoot me an email. I'd be happy to touch base. [email protected]

You are all right. You should not have to tolerate this type of violence any longer.