New nurse and still learning

Nurses New Nurse

Published

So...I guess I am just looking for some uplifting words. I am a new nurse, less than 1 year of experience. I have been iff of orientation for 1 month now. I had a situation with my nurse manager and I felt it could have been handled better. I had put an order in from a doctor and with the help if a more seasobed nurse. The nurse manager did not like the way I had put the order in. It had the right PT, right med, right route, dosage, etc. What she did not like was the way the pain level was put in. The issue I am having is, the way it was handled by my NM. Instead of pulling me aside to talk to me and teach me about the order. I was called out infront of peers and doctors as I am walking to clock out, "Did you get this order from Dr ****? "You can't do this" And then basically told me I am practicing out of my scope and that would not be tolerated. I then told the NM I had help putting the order in, which I am regretting now because I do not want to cause enemies, but I didn't want my NM to think I was not seeking help when needed. It is hard enough being new, but then to be spoken down to doesn't help. I.know I will make mistakes, I am new. Teach me, do not belittle me infront of others.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
So...I guess I am just looking for some uplifting words. I am a new nurse, less than 1 year of experience. I have been iff of orientation for 1 month now. I had a situation with my nurse manager and I felt it could have been handled better. I had put an order in from a doctor and with the help if a more seasobed nurse. The nurse manager did not like the way I had put the order in. It had the right PT, right med, right route, dosage, etc. What she did not like was the way the pain level was put in. The issue I am having is, the way it was handled by my NM. Instead of pulling me aside to talk to me and teach me about the order. I was called out infront of peers and doctors as I am walking to clock out, "Did you get this order from Dr ****? "You can't do this" And then basically told me I am practicing out of my scope and that would not be tolerated. I then told the NM I had help putting the order in, which I am regretting now because I do not want to cause enemies, but I didn't want my NM to think I was not seeking help when needed. It is hard enough being new, but then to be spoken down to doesn't help. I.know I will make mistakes, I am new. Teach me, do not belittle me infront of others.
I'm having a difficult time figuring out why the right physical therapist was necessary to the pain medication order. Perhaps that's what your nurse manager was referring to? You're right -- she should have spoken to you in private. But in nursing, it's about so much more than your feelings. Your feelings were hurt; I get that. But please learn to take the kernal of information out of feedback (even when you don't like the delivery) and learn. Nurse managers (and charge nurses and preceptors and even seasoned nurses at the bedside) get overwhelmed sometimes and may not deliver feedback in the best way. You can learn from it nevertheless.
Specializes in Pediatrics, Women's Health, Education.

I want to make sure I understand correctly.Did you enter a verbal order into the computer in a hospital where that is against policy? If so, your manager was correct that it is out of your scope of practice but wrong in reprimanding you in front of other people. You could try to make an appointment with her and explain that you felt pressured by the physician and ask for advice on how you should handle it next time and then tell her please don't reprimand me in public, but it could backfire. Or suck it up and not make waves until your 90-day probation is up. Promise yourself you will not break policy due to peer pressure and prepare your responses in advance. I always tell new grads at orientation to take the nursing ethics statement, hospital policy, and evidence-based practice and put it in a blender. If someone tries to pressure you into doing something against your judgment based on those principles give them an objective reason why. I promise you if you break policy and something happens they will leave you to take the blame, no matter who told you "this is how we do it here."

Pt for patient, sorry for the confusion

Verbal orders are permitted at our hospital. I work nights, so many times that is our only source of communication with the doctors. She was upset because I was told to put mild to moderate and moderate to severe pain scale in the order. Which I verified with a seasoned nurse and was told to do so.

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

Welcome to NewGradLand. NewEmployeeLand isn't much different; you'll be a more experienced nurse, but still new in that workplace. Expect to eat ****burgers for the first six months. Make it your goal in life to be as competent and conscientious as you can be. Once you start proving yourself and getting consistently good feedback, your confidence will grow. Then incidents of someone being crappy to you will score a lot lower on your radar.

Please don't take your NM aside and tell her how to give you feedback. Just accept any feedback, no matter how poorly delivered. You can fight interpersonal battles later, if you still need to. Right now, just make them glad they hired you.

Please hang in there. The first few months is building trust and the only way right now is with your character and competence. Talk to your NM.

Pt for patient, sorry for the confusion
If you absolutely cannot type out "patient", it's "pt." If you us PT, it means physical therapist.

Using my phone, it tends to autocorrect. I should have read over before posting.

If you absolutely cannot type out "patient", it's "pt." If you us PT, it means physical therapist.

Why make petty comments like this? If you know the 6 rights of medication administration, you knew what she meant.

Why make petty comments like this? If you know the 6 rights of medication administration, you knew what she meant.
Yes, I knew what she meant. But nursing requires accuracy in writing, and not everyone may have known. Furthermore, if someone puts "PT" in the chart, it means Physical Therapy (or therapist). If you mean "Patient", that's "pt."

This is just a nursing post. Like I stated, I did not feel the need to be "pc" for the post, so I didn't review the post before posting. The only charting that was done was to put an order in for a med. No charting was done using PT, patient, or pt. I am aware of using the right abbrevitions. I was simply stating that all of the 6 rights were used when putting the order in.

+ Add a Comment