New job and BSN online

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Hi guys,

I could really use some advice. I have an offer at an ICU but it is 5 hours away from home. I would like to finish my BSN within 2 years and I'm wondering if this is doable while taking on this first job plus the transition to a new town. I plan to do my BSN online with Arlington Texas. I have maybe 2 other non nursing classes that i need. I just want to be realistic and not burn myself out early in my career. Any of you guys feel that the BSN online is doable with a NOC ICU job in a new town?

Specializes in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.

I'm not in ICU, but I'm in noc shift telemetry and currently in a BSN program, 7 weeks in. Meh, the homework, papers, and quizzes (all online) are not hard at all, it's just busy work. It will take you a couple hours and what not to do the stuff, but IMO it's not hard at all, but it's not like it's super easy either. You will have less of a social life though unless you can time manage well.

Not in ICU either but I did my masters' degree online and now teach online classes. The key to online success is not to get behind and to establish a schedule. Many students do all their work on the weekend but if you don't have the same days off each week you may need to work out a schedule and write it down in advance. Be sure to determine if you need to have discussion posts on certain days and don't miss those as that will hurt your grade if you miss them because you're working. I found working more-than full-time and taking online classes hard but doable even with young kids. If you don't have kids and have few other commitments besides work you should be ok. You could ask on the online section of this forum and see if you can find some other UoT students and ask how many hours a week the homework/papers usually take.

+ Add a Comment