new grad RN with 2 job offers, what would you do??

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Hi everyone!

I am new to this site but have always found very useful opinions and tips by reading the threads on here so I am hoping for some helpful feed back for a new RN.

I graduated nursing school this past June and have had my license for a little over a month now and have been working at Hoag hospital Newport Beach for almost a year as a PCA (essentially a CNA) during 12 hr night shifts part time and the floor I work on has told me a few times that there are no positions open at this time but as soon as one opens up it will be offered to me (since I had already interviewed for an RN position prior to graduating nursing school just to have the interview process out of the way). My director has told me she really wants to move me up to an RN on our floor and she hopes I will wait it out and be patient for a position to open up (talk about some nurses leaving in the next few weeks). I recently interviewed at another hospital (to keep my options open) and they offered me a position as an RN at their facility.

Hoag hospital floor for hire is Gynecology/Urology unit with some med/surg overflow

Hospital #2 floor for hire is telemetry

my goal is to eventually be in critical care such as cardiac ICU

I will note the pros and cons in my situation and would appreciate all opinions! :)

Hoag Pros: I have been an employee there for almost a year, I have a good relationship with the PCAs, RNs, charge nurses, and director on my floor, it is a beautiful hospital, it is a well known hospital and known for being a very good hospital (that is in terms of patient opinion and ratings not employee opinion; there are good and bad things about being an employee here in my experience)

Hoag Cons: The position is night shift (I was hoping to move to day shift since I struggle to adjust to nights even after all this time), it is a 45 min commute from where I live, and MOST IMPORTANTLY there has not been a time frame given to me as to when a position for me would open up whether it be in a few weeks or a few months (other nurses have said they waited anywhere from 3 months to a year)

Hospital #2 Pros: teaching hospital with many opportunites for learning and growth in a very supportive enviornment, DAY SHIFT!!, another friend/classmate will be working on the same floor days so we will be co workers, interview went wonderful and they seemed very eager to have me

Hospital #2 Cons: hospital is in a not so great neighborhood (near LAX airport in a low income LA area), does not have the best reviews, is not as well known for being a good hospital (that is in terms of patient opinion and ratings not employee opinion; i've heard good and bad things about working here), hospital not as nice inside and out, about a 30 min commute without traffic

Last few notes to take into consideration is pay, Hoag has been said to offer about $34/hr to start for the full 12 hour shift (not sure if thats including night diff. or not) and hospital #2 is offering 30.69/hr for the first 8 hrs and then time and a half for the last 4 hrs averaging to be about $35 an hour.

Also, I am struggling financially and have been for a while as I do not make enough money as a PCA right now to pay all my bills and am very anxious to begin working as an RN to be able to pay my bills and live without the stress I have been enduring the past year.

and probably not as important but could be considered is Hoag is self scheduling so you can fill in days you do and do not want to work and they are usually really good about sticking with what employees put down and require two weekend shifts a month. Hospital #2 does not allow self schedule so they put you on whenever they want and require every other weekend.

In conclusion, I am not sure if it is better to wait it out for Hoag and take a position with them once it opens up or just take the position at hospital #2 and know I will begin working as an RN.

Thank you in advance, I am very stuck and appreciate your time! :)

Hoag is always looking for experienced nurses. Leave on good terms, get some experience at hospital #2, then work where you'd like. Maybe you'll want to go back to Hoag, and maybe you won't.

Take the RN position. Current hospital can string you along as long as they feel like once you give up another position.

Okay, here goes. I have some things for you to consider and a teeny tiny little bit of tough love for you.

First, the job offer at Hoag is not a sure thing. A potential year is too long to wait to start your career. By that time you could have a year's experience as an RN which will make you more marketable. Second, the role transition from PCA to RN is often difficult especially if you stay on the same floor. Not everyone will be accepting of you in your new position. Not your fault but it does happen. Anywhere I've worked has required a year of working off the original unit before a nurse can return. Third, you already stated night shift isn't for you. You could be stuck with that shift for a long time and a 45 minute commute can be a real pain. Some people don't mind longish commutes some people do. If you already are having difficulty with night shift the commute might be even more problematic.

The second hospital is offering you the shift that you want with learning opportunities in what is likely a large facility and a teaching hospital. The neighborhood is largely irrelevant as are the patient reviews. No hospital gets rave reviews from patients...none. The commute is shorter and the pay is about equal. And the most important factor of all is it's a sure thing which means you start being a nurse and gaining experience right away.

Now for the tough love part. Please make an appointment with a financial advisor and start a savings/budget plan right away. You are already living outside of your means if you struggle to pay your bills. You might have a good reason (medical problems, house burned down, day care) but do not fall prey to the temptation to start spending like crazy because you are making substantially more money as an RN. Trust me you will want to hunt me down and thank me when you're 60 and able to retire and not live in a cardboard box (but you won't be able to find me because I'm already old and won't be around anymore). I wish somebody had encouraged me to save. As it stands I will now have to work until I'm dead.

There is an old saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". It would be a shame to lose the opportunity you have for a "maybe" that may never happen.

Specializes in ICU.

You can still work as a tech even though you are a licensed RN?

Take the RN position. To me it's a no-brainer. You worked hard for your license, not to continue to work for tech money and not use your education. Who knows when a position will open up. Go get experience!

I know it was a long post to read so thank you I appreciate your input!! :D

I know it was a long post to read so thank you I appreciate your input!! :D

Long is no problem when there are paragraphs, capital letters and punctuation marks.

Great point! Thank you!

Appreciate all your words, thank you! and the financial advisor is already on my schedule, great advice!

Perfectly put! It's all helping ease my mind a lot, thanks!

Specializes in Registered Nurse.

Agree with the others. You can't live on a promise that may not realize. Go for the job offer you have now. Wuzzie made an excellent point about saving and living within your means. The sooner you get started the better. You will be thankful, that you did when you reach 60! Good luck.

If you hit the "quote" button in the lower right corner when responding, people will be able to tell which post(s) you are responding to. :saint:

+ Add a Comment