100% of reviewers agree that tuition and other associated costs are reasonable.
Reach Your Goals!
100% of reviewers believe academic standards help students reach their goals.
50% of reviewers believe support provided by teachers and staff are great.
The University of Cincinnati College of Nursing provides a quality nursing education and engages in research and scholarship. We do this by:
- Preparing nurses for diverse populations
- Expanding the nurse's knowledge through competency
- Giving the nurse a broad perspective of health-care consumers
Greer Glazer, Dean of UC, states, “At UC College of Nursing, we strive to be innovative, challenge norms, strive for excellence and have fun while we are at it. At the heart of this, you’ll find a leader who embraces these same ideals”..
UC Nursing Programs
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- RN to BSN
- Accelerated Program
- Nursing Education Certificate
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Post-Master's Certificate
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The BSN program at UC College of nursing consists of general education courses, nursing courses, and clinical hours for nurses. Freshman year, students will complete the pre-nursing general courses.
All high school students will apply directly to the nursing major, where they will compete for direct admission into the BSN major. After first year pre-nursing courses are completed, students may apply to fill open spots going into the sophomore year. Nursing students will begin nursing clinicals and course work in the sophomore year, which takes three full-time years to complete.
“What are some of the requirements?”
- Recommendation for applicants to have a minimum of 23 ACT (or 1070 SAT)
- The minimum high school GPA that will be accepted for direct admission is a 3.00
Registered Nurse – Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN)
This is an online program for nurses who have their Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) degree or hospital-based diploma and are ready to transition to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
"What are some of the reasons why I should consider the RN-BSN program?"
- Degree completion with only 9 core nursing courses - keeping you engaged in nursing content
- Flexible completion schedule of 9, 12 or 18 months - at your pace
- One advisor from start to finish - you’re never alone
- No hidden tuition costs or fees - cost up front and never changes
- Credit transfer from your previous program - no need to retake courses
- Leadership-focused curriculum - preparing you for managerial roles as a BSN-prepared nurse
- Classes are fully online with a community- and/or population-focused project completed near you
Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN)
For those who have earned a Bachelor's degree in another field and want to become an RN, the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) program is the most logical choice.
There are three phases of the program:
1. Phase I - Undergraduate pre-requisite phase consisting of foundation courses for the program. The courses can be completed by:
- transferring credits from your existing degree
- testing out of course(s)
- completing additional course work
2. Phase II - Qualify for placement based on the criteria above. You can then be placed in the next available Phase II cohort. There are only 40 Cohorts that start Phase II, twice a year. Phase II is the full-time RN pre-licensure phase taking place over 4 consecutive semesters. This phase combines coursework and clinical rotations in local hospitals. Students are awarded their Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree at the end of this phase and have the option to continue into the master’s portion, which is Phase III.
3. Phase III - Master’s phase of the program. All students who complete the BSN degree can apply for Phase III with the exception of anesthesia students who will apply separately. You must be working because most specialty areas require work experience. Students typically enroll part-time in the MSN program while gaining the professional foundation needed to advance in their master's level courses and clinical experiences. At the end of this phase, students who fulfill requirements are awarded a Master of Science in Nursing degree and will be eligible to take any applicable advanced practice certification exams in their specialty area(s).
Graduate Certificate in Nursing Education
Our Graduate Certificate in Nursing Education is an online program developed due to the need for faculty for nursing programs. Those who have the interest in teaching are prepared to become educational leaders in academic and practice settings.
Through the certificate program, students learn the key concepts to teaching and learning, program development, assessment, evaluation, and other aspects of the educational process in nursing.
This program prepares the post-baccalaureate student for academic roles in higher education while completing master’s and doctorate-level courses. Students who complete this certificate at the post-baccalaureate level may be eligible for roles in staff development, nursing assistant programs, licensed practical nurse programs (LPN), and clinical instruction/precepting.
The graduate certificate in nursing education program will provide educators with specialty preparation required for the National League for Nursing (NLN) examination for certification as a Nurse Educator (CNE). Educators must meet additional eligibility requirements as outlined by the NLN.
As a result of state boards of nursing and the Department of Education (DOE) Higher Education regulation changes, the University of Cincinnati College of Nursing will no longer be accepting applications for our online Graduate Certificate in Nursing Education from students residing in the following states:
- District of Columbia
- New York
- One academic year, typically with two courses per semester
- Flexible schedule is flexible
- Content is delivered exclusively online
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
There are plenty of options for the student at UC College of Nursing who wants to accelerate their learning.
- Adult-Gero Primary Care NP Online
- Adult-Gero Acute Care NP Onsite
- Adult-Gero Primary Care NP Onsite
- Family NP Online
- Family NP Onsite
- Neonatal NP Hybrid
- Nurse Anesthesia Onsite
- Nurse Midwifery Online
- Occupational Health Hybrid
- Women's Health Online
Doctor of Nursing Practice
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is developed for nurses who want to excel as a leader in the healthcare world.
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) to DNP program offers a unique opportunity for bachelor’s-prepared nurses to obtain both a master’s level and DNP education in a shorter time span.
For nurses who have a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), UC offers a post-MSN to DNP program.
- Adult-Gero Acute Care NP
- Adult-Gero Primary Care NP
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Administration
- Nurse Anesthesia
- MSN to DNP
- Pediatric Primary Care NP
- Pediatric Acute Care NP
- Psychiatric Mental Health NP
The University of Cincinnati Nurse Anesthesia program is one of the oldest nurse anesthetist programs with a long history of academic and clinical excellence.
The University of Cincinnati has recently transitioned to a BSN to DNP program for nurse anesthesia.
The length of the program is 36 months (nine semesters) of full-time study. Clinical experience begins in the third semester to allow students to integrate and apply concepts learned in the classroom.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Students interested in the research side of nursing and medicine will benefit from a PhD. The educational development of this program is based on the science that shapes nursing practice. This program prepares students to develop their own program of research, collaborate with interprofessional teams, and disseminate findings to the scientific community through publications and national and international venues.
The PhD program at the University of Cincinnati is a face-to-face onsite program. Students participate in research practice under the guidance of senior scientists to develop their skills as researchers.
The program requires a minimum of 90 semester hours beyond the BSN degree and 60 semester hours beyond the MSN degree.
UC College of Nursing offers both BSN to PhD and MSN to PhD schema options.
Research Focus Areas
- Vulnerable populations and health disparities
- Chronic and comorbid conditions
- Occupational Health
- Adult-Gero Acute Care
- Adult-Gero Primary Care
- Family NP
- Family NP Online
- Neonatal Hybrid
- Pediatric Acute Care
- Pediatric Primary Care
- Psych Mental Health NP
Baccalaureate (BSN), Master’s and DNP
The baccalaureate, master’s and DNP programs at the University of Cincinnati College of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
MSN in Nurse-Midwifery
The University of Cincinnati, Nurse-Midwifery Program is fully accredited by the ACNM Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education (ACME).
MSN in Nurse Anesthesia
The University of Cincinnati College of Nursing Masters Program Nurse Anesthesia Major is fully accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA).
Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The DNP is approved by the University of Cincinnati Board of Trustees and the Ohio Board of Regents. The CCNE onsite review for accreditation was completed in January 2013. The DNP was awarded a 5 year initial accreditation in November 2013 and will be eligible for 10 year accreditation with the next cycle in 2018.
University of Cincinnati College of Nursing has been acknowledged with a multitude of awards including:
- Best Online RN to BSN Programs = #3 - BestCollegeReviews.org
- 50 Best Online BSN Degrees for 2017 = #4 - CollegeChoice.net
- 2017 Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs = #5 - U.S. News & World Report
- Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs for Veterans = #7 - U.S. News & World Report
- Best Online Master's in Nursing = #10 - BestNursingMasters.com
- 2016 Best Undergraduate Nursing Programs = #17 - CollegeChoice.net
- Top Online Nursing Graduate Programs = #18 - GraduatePrograms.com
- 2016 Top 50 Online RN to BSN Programs = #19 - TopRNtoBSN.com
- 2016 Best Graduate Schools: Nursing-Anesthesia = #22 - U.S. News & World Report
- 2016 Top Nursing Graduate Programs = #26 - GraduatePrograms.com
- 2017 Best Nursing Schools: Masters = #28 - U.S. News & World Report
- 50 Best Master's in Nursing Degrees for 2017 = #28 - CollegeChoice.net
- 30 Best Nursing Programs in the U.S. = #29 - Mometrix
- 2016 Top 50 Best Value Nursing PhD Programs = #29 - Value Colleges
- Best Online Master's in Nursing Programs = #30 - CollegeChoice.net
- 2016 Best Master's in Nursing Programs = #36 - CollegeChoice.net -
- 2017 Best Graduate Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice = #47 - U.S. News & World Report