What supplies will I need?Register Today!
- by NurseMinnieRN Aug 17, '12Due to late hiring I will be starting my position as a school nurse after the start of the school year (talk about throwing one into the job). Obviously I will need to bring my stethoscope, but what other items did you have on hand such as bandage scissors, ect. I am not sure what the school supplies at this point.
- Aug 17, '12 by JolieAre you full-time at one school, or do you travel? Can you stop in and look over your office before your first day?
I covered 4 schools and had a "travel bag" with durable supplies (stethoscope, B/P cuffs in adult and child sizes, otoscope, good bandage scissors, tweezers, med. book, etc.
Each building stocked the disposable stuff like a variety of bandages, splints, ice packs, etc.
By state law, each building also had an anaphylaxis/asthma kit.
- Aug 18, '12 by NurseMinnieRNNo I am only at one school. I just bought the new NASN Comprehensive School Nurse book and I have my own stethoscope but I am not sure what else I would need to buy to use. I am not sure that I will be able to see the office before the start of school since I cannot get in to be fingerprinted until 4 days before school starts and at that time I will receive a permanent job offer.
- Aug 18, '12 by mustlovepoodlesSounds like you won't know exactly what's already in your clinic until you get there. You will need something to keep ice in and ziploc baggies to make ice packs with. A large supply of small, medium, & large bandaids. Stuff to make larger bandages with, some splints and slings. Thermometer, vaseline, applicator sticks/qtips. Soap,paper towels, and Lysol wipes. Paper cups. Stethoscope. Safety pins, crackers.
- Aug 19, '12 by Nurse ABCI would call the school nurse supervisor or even the principal to see what's available and if you could go in and see the office/supplies beforehand. In our district we have special dr orders of treatments we can do like bacitracin for cuts and blistex for chapped lips, etc that the school system supplies. Our schools provide everything we need. I could not imagine supplying bandaids, cups, soap, etc out of my own pocket for an entire school unless they reimbursed me. All that should already be there and if it's not you could check when you get you get your job offer what/where the protocol is and how to go about obtaining needed supplies. We always order the spring before school ends so you should really already be stocked up. Our district also gives us a certain amount of money each year that we can spend on anything we want work related so check into that as well. On a regular basis you will use a thermometer, flashlight (to check for sore throats and pupils), otoscope, blood pressure cuff, stethescope, bandaids, bags of ice, stuff to clean/spray for germs, cups, hand sanitizer, tweezers and fingernail clippers, salt (for sore throat gargles), bacitracin (with an order), and vaseline. We also use crackers and juice for stomachaches. All that is already provided for us. I would not buy any of that until you find out what's already provided in your school. Good luck!
- Aug 22, '12 by calaabI don't buy anything out of pocket for my clinic. All my supplies are bought throughout the year (typically at the beginning of the year and over Christmas break) using school funds. I have bought a few things (sm. bulletin board, a small three drawer rolling cart, etc) that I have put in here, but if I was to ever leave my position, they will go with me.
I don't know if you will have the funds, but the best BEST BEST thing I've ever purchased (with school money) was a small countertop ice maker. That thing is a lifesaver!!