Sore Throat Salt-Water Gargle? How Much Salt???Register Today!
- by uthscsa2011 Feb 7Hello, I am a school nurse and wanted clarification on exactly how much salt:water ratio we should be using for gargles? Thanks!!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=813995©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 644 Views
- Feb 7 by Esme12I don't know if you ahve a special school policy.....but at home I make my kids witha couple of table spoons per 8oz.
- Feb 7 by schooldistrictnurseBelieve it or not, I would consider this an OTC which would require a parent signature. I wouldn't do it on my own. (Except if I had a sore throat.)
- Feb 7 by SoldierNurse22Salt water gargle.... hmm. I'd probably do what Esme suggested and make sure the kids didn't try to say "salt water gargle" 10 times in a row. Nothing like a pretzel knot of the tongue diagnosis to go along with a sore throat. That'll make your day worse!
- Feb 7 by tictacI use about a teaspoon in 4oz of water. I just eyeball it.
- Feb 7 by Flarei just eyeball it too. enough salt to cover the botton of the dixie cup, maybe a bit more.
- Feb 8 by 100kidsI just eyeball it too. I used to measure out 1 tsp in a about 4 oz water but now I don't measure it. I always know if their throat really hurts if they're willing to do the salt water gargle.
- Feb 8 by FlareQuote from 100kidsha ain't that the truth! especially with the kids that already know what it entails!!I just eyeball it too. I used to measure out 1 tsp in a about 4 oz water but now I don't measure it. I always know if their throat really hurts if they're willing to do the salt water gargle.