Junior High opinionsRegister Today!
- by Tina, RN Feb 23Hello everyone!
I am currently the school nurse at a small elementary school. Changes are coming, and there is a chance that I will end up in a large junior high instead. I am so sad, I really love working with my little kids!
Please give me some opinions/thoughts (positive or negative) about being a junior high school nurse. I want to have an idea of what I will be up against, should this actually happen.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=817526©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 594 Views
- Feb 24 by ChelseaChuI LOVE Junior High! I have worked with all age groups and all present with challenges and perks. In Junior High they are a little more independent and you can be direct with the frequent flyers. Most of the time I can ask them what is wrong and they are able to tell me and what normally works for them. I also love sports medicine, psychology, and preventative medicine and I do a lot of "patient education." You do have to deal with drugs, pregnancy, and emotional problems, but most of the time it is a blast.
- Feb 25 by nhnursieA lot of bullying ends up as complaints that are based in three areas...the head- headaches; the chest-asthma like symptoms. Short of breath wheezy. But with an o2 sat of 98. And in the gut....stomach ache or diarrhea or vomiting ....good times!
- Feb 26 by delianelsonI am a substitute school nurse in a k-8th grade school and LOVE the junior high age group! THey usually come down with an underlying issue but present with complaints like a belly ache or headache. Its exciting to get to know them because they have more developed personalities than the youngsters.
- Feb 26 by mandm97I too went from an Elementary level to Middle School (jr) and LOVE IT...LOVE IT................for all of the above reasons!
- Feb 26 by Flarenhnursie is spot on there. Try to keep track of when your freq fliers are coming and look for patterns. You'd expect that the kids are just coming to skip their academics because they didn't study for a quiz of forgot homework, but i always take a moment to consider the ones skipping the classes i wouldn't want to miss (like art or cooking ) were doing so due to peer issues. Middle school / junior high is a trying age - kids can get vicious with each other. But it's also a really fun age to work with. I miss my middle school only school terribly!