HELP! Teaching Sex Ed - Page 2Register Today!
- May 15, '09 by LovingOBFutureFNPI'm two weeks away from wrapping up my school nurse gig to return to my true nursing love, obstetrics, but since I'm a school nurse for 2 more weeks...
I work at a high school and haven't had to address this issue with younger students, but one thing I would suggest would be evaluating their knowledge. "What can you tell me about periods?" I think it might help open up the communication gate, and it would give you an opportunity to clear up any misconceptions!
- May 21, '09 by AdobeRNDont know if this may help - but when my daughter had this talk in 5th grade, boys/girls were split up. A male teacher volunteered to assist with the boys. Video was shown and the kids had a chance to write down any question they had put it in a box, the nurse then just pulled each question and answered it.
- Apr 14, '10 by bunsterjI (10 years ago) had a copy of the pancake uterus film...I found it extra funny, because there was an episode of Blossom where she fantasizes what it would be like to have different TV moms. Mrs. Huxtable of Cosby explained periods with frosting on a cake.
It sounds like what you are doing is pretty much "plumbing and hydraulics." Once they settle down, you will have a very captive audience. The question box is a good idea, and in classes with no known behavior problems, the girls talk a lot more if the teacher is out of the room.
The Always films are online. For those that want the Always booklets and samples for next year, the time to order is now. The ordering deadline is very early in the school year.
We had sex separate classes, with the poor flustered and easily blushing male gym teacher doing the boys.
Don't be afraid of the kids, because you know way more than they do...some will just act otherwise.
- Apr 14, '10 by Nurse_ZibaI haven't seen the pancake video. Is it available in youtube?
Good luck to you!
- Apr 15, '10 by bunsterjNurse Ziba I didn't see it on youtube when I looked. It was put out by one of the feminine hygiene products companies--perhaps Kotex. It was from sometime prior to 1996 (my first year as a school nurse, and it was an older film then).
- Apr 15, '10 by Nurse_ZibaQuote from bunsterjNurse Ziba I didn't see it on youtube when I looked. It was put out by one of the feminine hygiene products companies--perhaps Kotex. It was from sometime prior to 1996 (my first year as a school nurse, and it was an older film then).
Alright. Thanks for the effort!
- Apr 16, '10 by bunsterjWell I googled "uterus of pancake batter" and got several hits...all of people that remembered those pancakes. It is:
“I Got It! An Always Changing Program Video on Menstruation from Proctor & Gamble”
Publisher: [Cincinnati, Ohio] : Proctor & Gamble Co., ©1988.
One of the writers even contacted the Always company to see if they had any old copies available--they don't.