do I tell the other school's nurse? - Page 2Register Today!
- Sep 22, '11 by Purple_ScrubsQuote from Spidey's momBest typo ever I'm picturing the Hubble telescope being used to search for missed nits...lol. Sorry, Spidey's Mom, just had to give you a little ribbing for this oneJust google NASA and search for "lice".
- Oct 17, '11 by SudsyInteresting f/u: I've been reading "School Nursing: A Comprehensive Text" and on p. 608 it says "When it is known that students in one school have possibly exposed students in neighboring schools, the school nurses for those schools should be notified".
- Oct 17, '11 by safarirnAhhh. I apologize. I forgot what the original post even was & had to reread it! I thought this was a family that transferred to a new district & you wanted to tip-off the other nurse.
I was wrong. I think I got 2 topics mixed up. Sorry!
- Oct 18, '11 by SudsyNo problem . Nice to have a response, in any case!
- Nov 13, '11 by Kim O'TherapyQuote from SudsyWhat does your school policy say? Unless the older siblings' school is somehow connected with or chartered with your school, I would have to place HIPAA before passing along any information. If the parent were to become angry over the shared information, she/he may have a good case.Interesting f/u: I've been reading "School Nursing: A Comprehensive Text" and on p. 608 it says "When it is known that students in one school have possibly exposed students in neighboring schools, the school nurses for those schools should be notified".
- Nov 15, '11 by SudsyMy school has almost no policies about anything! Love the place, but I'm really starting at ground level.....
- Nov 18, '11 by missfixitI am by no means an expert on this topic, but I think student's medical information mostly falls under FERPA regulations. I am sure HIPPA applies in some instances as well.
Anyway, as I understand FERPA- information that needs to be shared to insure a student's safe attendance can be shared on a need to know basis.
Therefore, I do not think head lice would potentially affect the student's safety, so I would not share the information with the other nurse.