changing to new school?Register Today!
- by cpgrn Jan 10, '03I have been working through the school district in a pre-school for almost 4 years. I am getting an opportunity to go to the middle school - it would be a lateral move. I'm getting a trial for two weeks. I think I will like this better due to a lot of reasons. Primarily not as much evening work (meetings, etc.) and also my son is approaching an age (10) that will give me more insite into the problems with pre-adolescents. Any insite would be appreciated. Does this sound like a good move?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=28880©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,319 Views
- Jan 10, '03 by WashYaHandsIt sounds like a good move to me if you're ready for a change and it's a lateral move. See how the 2 week trial works out for you. As you are aware, pre-adolescents/adolescents are much different from pre-schoolers. I find the age group both challenging and exciting because they are transitioning from childhood into young adulthood. Nurses are in an excellent position to help them learn good decision making skills and life choices. They teach us to be flexible and tolerant. I can't say that it's all a bed of roses. It is interesting, fulfilling and sometimes heart breaking. Best of luck to you in your decision. Let us know how it goes.
- Jan 10, '03 by MomNRNGood luck - sounds different, but interesting. I have a 13-year-old middle schooler myself and have heard stories from their nurse. Definitely different from what I encounter! Could be enjoyable and fulfilling.
- Jan 16, '03 by cpgrnI'm at the end of my first week and so far so good. The decision may be made tomorrow or I may have to wait until next week. This is a very political thing. The kids seem fine to me- a lot different from the pre-schoolers. They know their names and addresses and phone numbers - what a switch! We have an epidemic of flu here right now so the kids are dropping like flies. They said this is the busiest week we have ever had in the district. It was a real test for anyone. We'll see what tomorrow brings and maybe I'll have news.
- Jan 16, '03 by MomNRNGood for you - I hope it turns out! Keep us posted.
- Jan 17, '03 by WashYaHandsGlad it's going well. Keep us posted.
- Jan 23, '03 by cpgrnI found out today that i got the job! I'm so excited about this. I've spent two weeks here and really like it. I think it'll be a good change from the pre-schoolers. They were really cute but couldn't tell you their address or phone number. At least these kids can help me find someone if they're sick. I'm happpy with this!
- Jan 23, '03 by MomNRNSo happy to hear you got the job and like it! It will definitely be a big change from preschoolers! Your perspective will change from finding out pertinent info to determining if pertinent info is the truth. Some of the middle-schoolers where I work are fabulous liars. I've had to get pretty tough and truthful with them. These kids are serious behavior disorder kids who will try anything to get a free ticket out of school. We might have to swap strategies! Enjoy the new job!
- Jan 28, '03 by cpgrnI just love this new school. This is totally different from the pre-schoolers. The kids are great and the problems are different. But I really like it. This is my third week. So far, so good.
- Feb 20, '03 by dherbI've been a middle school nurse for five years! I love the work, hate the pay, and love-generally the kids! My interview went well then- When asked what I knew about adolescents, I decided to be me and answered " They're hormones with feet"! And they are- Good luck, You'll love it!