September 2, 2005
ASHLAND -- Henry Warren School nurse Mary Lou Rivernider saved a little boy's life yesterday.
A 6-year-old boy -- who had never before exhibited an allergic reaction to a bee sting -- broke out in hives and started coughing after he was stung twice during recess.
Rivernider, a nurse at the school for 23 years, gave him a shot of epinephrine to help him.
Fire Lt. David Iarussi said Rivernider's quick reaction saved the child's life. The boy's name was not released.
"As far as I'm concerned, she saved the little boy's life," said Iarussi. "Her actions today really made a difference."
Although Rivernider has dealt with numerous bee stings over her career, she said yesterday was the first time she had to deal with someone who did not know they were allergic to bees.