ADHD meds in milk?

  1. So I got this 5 year old Kindergarten student, was diagnosed with ADHD- unspecified type. They prescribed him 10 mg of Vyvanse and the mother instructed me to give it in milk? The APs and I were a bit baffled because I never heard of this method. So I called the doctor and they did indeed say to try in milk, but if the effects didn't happen to switch to pills.

    Two questions:

    You ever done this method and so how did you make sure it was actually working?

    And also if it doesn't work, how do you teach a 5 year old how to swallow pills? Any tricks?

    Thanks!
    •  
  2. 31 Comments

  3. by   Flare
    are you giving it whole in the milk or crushing it?
  4. by   OyWithThePoodles
    I've given ADHD meds in milk that were in capsules and the child couldn't/wouldn't swallow. I would sprinkle them in milk with the md's okay.
  5. by   BeckyESRN
    I had a 1st grader that we did this for. I just opened the capsule and poured it into a small amount (dixie cup) of milk and stirred it. He'd drink it and I'd refill it and have him take another drink to "wash it down". This was all written specifically on the medication order sheet from the doctor and I called to confirm. Vyvanse dissolves readily and mixed in liquid is listed as a mode of administration per the physician insert.

    As for getting littles to swallow pills, I had my daughter practice with tic-tacs! She HATES liquid medication and orally dissolving ones, so by 4 she could swallow her allergy med and an IBU if needed, at 6 she was able to swallow those huge abx for strep!
  6. by   JenTheSchoolRN
    Quote from BeckyESRN

    As for getting littles to swallow pills, I had my daughter practice with tic-tacs! She HATES liquid medication and orally dissolving ones, so by 4 she could swallow her allergy med and an IBU if needed, at 6 she was able to swallow those huge abx for strep!
    I've used tic-tacs to have older students learn how to swallow pills as well .
  7. by   OldDude
    It'll have the same effect regardless of the way it gets into the stomach. It'll just start working a little bit sooner since there's no wait time for the capsule to dissolve.

    My standard spiel for swallowing pills is...put the pill on your tongue, take a big drink of water, look up at the ceiling, puff your cheeks, and swallow. But if it doesn't work after a few tries I move on; kids are all over the map with this and it'll come sooner or later. I don't try to assist a kid with learning to swallow a pill with capsules since they float and will tickle the palate so I use other stuff like mentioned above until they get the hang of it and then switch to capsules.
  8. by   OyWithThePoodles
    Quote from BeckyESRN
    I had a 1st grader that we did this for. I just opened the capsule and poured it into a small amount (dixie cup) of milk and stirred it. He'd drink it and I'd refill it and have him take another drink to "wash it down". This was all written specifically on the medication order sheet from the doctor and I called to confirm. Vyvanse dissolves readily and mixed in liquid is listed as a mode of administration per the physician insert.

    As for getting littles to swallow pills, I had my daughter practice with tic-tacs! She HATES liquid medication and orally dissolving ones, so by 4 she could swallow her allergy med and an IBU if needed, at 6 she was able to swallow those huge abx for strep!
    I still have anxiety about amoxicillin tabs. Every time I always ask Mr. Poodles if he remembers how to heimlich (how is that not recognized as a word??) I work myself up. Kudos to your daughter!
  9. by   AdobeRN
    Never have used milk but use pudding or applesauce with Vyvanse - just open and sprinkle on a spoonful.
  10. by   KoalalaRN
    I've taught my own two children and a couple of my patients in the hospital to swallow pills using mini m&m's.
    It should be fine to mix the medication in milk, just keep it to a very small amount so that you don't have any trouble getting the child to drink it all.
  11. by   Amethya
    Quote from Flare
    are you giving it whole in the milk or crushing it?
    It's basically capsules, so I break it in half and I poured it all in the carton and shake it.

    He drank the whole milk carton, no questions asked. So I'm not sure if I should do that again or just pour some in a cup.
  12. by   OyWithThePoodles
    Quote from Amethya
    It's basically capsules, so I break it in half and I poured it all in the carton and shake it.

    He drank the whole milk carton, no questions asked. So I'm not sure if I should do that again or just pour some in a cup.
    I would pour some in a cup. A.) They might not drink it all and B.) Drinking a lot of milk fast might make a bellyache.

    I don't pour a whole lot in the cup because I have found no matter how much I stir the medicine, some will still get stuck on the bottom or the side of the cup, so I have to pour more in a couple of times to get all the medicine down.
  13. by   WineRN
    I crush a few of mine and one has special organic chocolate almond milk that his goes into. lol

    I have asked parents if I could try to teach a few of them and they always say no.
  14. by   OldDude
    The easiest way to do this is empty the capsule in a med cup, tap the med cup on the counter so all the med will collect on one side, dump the cup into the kids mouth, fill the cup up with water and let him chase it down.

    Second easiest way is to dump the capsule in a med cup, add a few ml of water, tip the cup so the med will collect on one side, and let them suck the med out through one of the skinny cafeteria straws.

    Juice, apple sauce, yogurt, milk, etc is a pain in the...

close