Inactive or Unemployed RN,Is it ok to apply medicaid?Register Today!
- by charr-RN May 20I am unemployed for 8 years attending to family's obligation as my priority.I'm in my 50's now and healthwise have high blood pressure, and needs to be seen by doctor.
My hubby had medicare and I don't have insurance. I need a medical assistance which for now I cannot afford.MY question is this.
I have an RN license, will it not be affected if I applied for a medicaid assistance?This is only good until I can get a job this year,which I am already preparing to take a refresher course and land a job with a good luck!
I know the stigma of having this assistance but I have no other means of making myself medically taken cared of.
Would like to hear from those who have ideas on this area.
- May 21 by poppycatIf you have medical problems that need to be treated, you have to do whatever you can to make that happen. Being on Medicaid will not affect your nursing license. I know this because I was on Social Security Disability for about 10 years & also had Medicaid for a few years during that time. Fortunately, the condition that necessitated disability resolved enough that I was able to return to work as an RN 10 years ago.
- May 21 by nursel56I don't think it will have any effect on your RN license, but Medicaid is administered through your state. You might want to check your state's Dept of Healthcare Services and/or Dept of Social Services where they might have an online application process designed to take you through each step where they ask lots of eligibility questions that may vary from one state to the next.
I also found this Benefit Finder - a federal govt form which probably will refer you to your state if the program is administered through them.
Best wishes to you!
- May 21 by merleeMedicaid is an income-based supplement that has nothing to do with your occupation/license. Apply for ALL of the services you may need. No one ever needs to know at the nursing board in your state, or at any facility you apply to for a job.
- May 21 by charr-RNThanks all for your replies,it gave me peace of mind.
I'll go ahead and apply online.I tried my best to keep myself healthy
but my constant headaches points to HBP.I cannot self medicate myself also
without seeing a doctor.
- Jun 9 by charr-RNJust to make an update of this:
I applied but was denied for reason of :Income is too high to qualify for this program.
Our income is just the SS benefits my husband is receiving and it only covers our mortgage.
For now, my best move is to do my refresher course so I can start job hunting and think of other remedies.
Anyway, it's good to know that anyone can apply for this public assistance.
Thanks everyone for your replies.
- Jun 9 by nursel56Best wishes to you charr-RN!