Help! Failed NCLEX five times, out of school for 9 yearsRegister Today!
- by cpmom May 16, '10Hello Everyone,
I am new to allnurses.com. A very long story short: I graduated RN school in May 2001. I have taken the NCLEX five times and was unsuccessful. I had tried everything I knew to do and still couldn't do it. I will admit I did give up. The last time I took it I was eight days from having my first child and she is now six. I thought for some reason I was not supposed to do nursing. I got out of nursing all together a year later. I really want to get my license, otherwise nursing school was a waste. I contacted my old school and they didn't even seem to care. I have searched and searched and the only thing I can find online and otherwise is refreshers that you already needed to have your license at some point in time. I never had trouble in clinicals or any hands on work just that test. I am very frustrated and although I want to figure out what I can do even as I write this I feel like there isn't any help out there. If the only thing I can do is go back to school and do the WHOLE program over NO WAY! I am married with two young kids and work full time repeating two years of that again I don't think I can do it. If any of you out there has any ideas you could send my way I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time
- May 16, '10 by nelpn2rnHave you thought about taking a kaplan course? I am taking one now and I know there are people in the class who have failed NCLEX before. Its expensive but it is a good program.
- May 16, '10 by caliotter3Take your previous failures and put them in a lockbox, lock it, and hide the key. Get a calendar and a review book and make yourself a schedule to prepare for this. Look at it as a test, nothing more, nothing less. If you have the money to spend on a review course, then sign up for one to jump start yourself. Otherwise, submit your application and set a date three or four months out and get to it. Start with the first chapter in the review book. Once you map out a plan and start working your plan, you will feel better about this. Good luck.
- Aug 18, '10 by msdaschcavHi cpmom
I was in the same boat with you last year. I graduated in 2001 took the test many times and failed. I gave up, started doing other things but I kept thinking about nursing school and what a waste. I finally decided after much prayer to try again. I did questions at first to see what I remembered (not a lot). I then took Kaplan, another review course and worked with a local tutor. I did questions, after questions. thousands of them wherever I could find them. It cost me a whole lot but I was determined to make it happen. I became more motivated after 4months and I took the exam for the 5th and last time in November of 2009 and PASSED.You can and you will. Stay focused and determined and do whatever you feel you have to do to make it happen. Good luck and God bless.
- Aug 18, '10 by PRN22Please don't give up. Try the Kaplan course, I found the Kaplan ( qbank, Qtrainer) very very similar to the Nclex. Practice 150Q/day only and read all the rationales and you will be find.
- Aug 19, '10 by sallyrnrrtKAPLAN ROCKS !!! very good program
- Aug 21, '10 by un2010I would recommend Hurst review. You can listen to lectures anytime you want, and study any time with their online videos. Its great for content review. After reviewing all the content few times, see if you can lecture on that material. If You can lecture on it, you can pass it. And finally, do many questions as possible. I used Vipra med, ncsbn extension, lecharity book, kaplan book, and did many questions as possible. Lecharity book is great and ncsbn is good too, and I would recommend doing thiese few weeks before actual exam. You can do this, You will pass.
- Sep 21, '10 by NICTHYI am in the same boat as you..I am single mom with a child age 4 and really need to get my licensure and become a nurse.. I chose to be a nurse when I was 8 years old..I ve graduated in 1983 with BSN in Brazil.. I would like to find somebody to study with me or a tutor.. I ve failed NCLEX in 2002 and I hadn't try it again..I give up for 8 years.. I ve moved to USA in 2000..so.. Now am determined to study and pass the NCLEX.. Do you wanna study with me? Thanks
- Sep 21, '10 by LPN-K"I am in the same boat as you..I am single mom with a child age 4 and really need to get my licensure and become a nurse.. I chose to be a nurse when I was 8 years old..I ve graduated in 1983 with BSN in Brazil.. I would like to find somebody to study with me or a tutor.. I ve failed NCLEX in 2002 and I hadn't try it again..I give up for 8 years.. I ve moved to USA in 2000..so.. Now am determined to study and pass the NCLEX.. Do you wanna study with me? Thanks "
I am LPN from singapore. I am going to sit NCLEX LPN exam on november. I am very nervous now. Do you have idea what to foucs? I don't want to fail. I want to pass in first attempt coz I want to stay with my husband together. He lives in USA and i m living in singapore. NCLEX LPN exam is only the biggest hope for us to stay together. I will apply job if I pass the NCLEX LPN exam in november.
If anybody out there have any idea what to focus and how to study to pass the exam in first attempt..pls advise me.