WHY does a B.S. + RN not equal BSN - Page 10Register Today!
- Jul 28, '12 by True BlueYour multiple bachelor's degrees do not include nursing theory classes or clinicals. How can you be awarded a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (AKA BSN) without taking a single nursing course? I chose nursing as a 2nd degree path already having a Bachelor's of Science in Biology. The good news is you won't need to start from square one since your english, math, chemistry, etc. should already transfer over. You will need to pick up A&P, microbiology, some psychology, depending on what program you choose. As for me, I chose to take the cheaper approach of getting an Associate Degree in Nursing which allowed me to work full time while taking nursing courses. Now I'm a nurse who will soon be in a RN-BSN (or RN-MSN if I change my mind) program (you can check out Texas Women's University for this program option) but you will have to find a way to become a RN first.
- Jul 28, '12 by foreverLaurI still maintain the information learned in a RN-BSN program must not be that important if highly ranked schools will let a BA + ADN go straight into the MSN
- Jul 29, '12 by GrnTeaif that were true i could agree with you. unfortunately for that soundbite, those "ba-mn" programs have prerequisites, nursing courses to be completed before beginning the mn program requirements.
- Jul 29, '12 by foreverLaurThe only requirement for a BA/ADN to direct enter the MSN program is to demonstrate proficiency in:
(1) concepts and processes in population-focused nursing, and (2) concepts and processes for leadership in contemporary nursing practice
This can be done by coursework, work experience, or a proficiency exam. I have been told they are pretty lenient as to what they will accept. If you cannot meet the requirement, you are admitted and you take one or both courses the summer before you start the MSN program. I know that my ADN program does meet those requirements via coursework so I will be able to directly start the MSN program the exact same as a BSN grad. I will have no prerequisites and no nursing courses to take prior.
And yes, this is a top ranked university with a well ranked and respected nursing program.
- Aug 11, '12 by SiestaRNI also have a BS in another field & I have been a practicing RN for over 30 years, I have even held administrative positions. I would love to pursue an MSN for personal growth or maybe even to teach, but it is impossible for me to get into an MSN program without completing my BSN. I could however, get into Medical School, Law School, a Physician Assistant program or any other professional secondary program & they wonder why there is a shortage of nurses. We are our own worst enemies!
- Aug 11, '12 by SiestaRNwhich program, I have looked at several
- Aug 11, '12 by DoGoodThenGoQuote from SiestaRNColumbia University in NYC offers MSN/AP degrees where along the line one obtains a BSN as well. Indeed it is the only way one is going to get a BSN from the school since Columbia discontinued it's undergrad BSN program years ago.I also have a BS in another field & I have been a practicing RN for over 30 years, I have even held administrative positions. I would love to pursue an MSN for personal growth or maybe even to teach, but it is impossible for me to get into an MSN program without completing my BSN. I could however, get into Medical School, Law School, a Physician Assistant program or any other professional secondary program & they wonder why there is a shortage of nurses. We are our own worst enemies!
Columbia University School of Nursing
- Aug 11, '12 by foreverLaurSiestaRN - I PM'd you a highly ranked MSN program that allows you to go straight into the MSN (no RN-BSN courses required). You are looked at the same way as a BSN.
- Aug 11, '12 by chareI also would like to know which school allows this. Thanks.
- Aug 11, '12 by foreverLaurMS Traditional Admissions | College of Nursing
I have heard they are pretty lenient with the 2 classes you need in terms of which classes or experience. If you inquire about the RN-BSN program and have a non-nursing bachelors, they will suggest you just go straight into the MSN. Worst case scenario, you take 2 online classes the semester before you start. Sure beats a RN-BSN program any day. When I spoke to the lady in charge of admissions, she said approximately 15% of students have to take one or both before they start. The other 85% go straight in.