Places for a Public Health Nurse to WorkRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Places for a Public Health Nurse to Work in Public / Community Health Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... Hey, guys! I know Public Health Nurse is generally a title at the health department; but for the...by wish_me_luck Feb 24Hey, guys!
I know Public Health Nurse is generally a title at the health department; but for the purposes of this thread I will use the term loosely. I was wondering, where are (all) the places a Public Health Nurse can work? I am looking for more of actual prevention and education aspect.
Here's the ones I know of:
I keep looking at nursing jobs and truthfully, nothing with job postings really jumps out at me like public health nursing settings do. Not even doctor's offices and urgent care clinics. I think it is because of the goal of care--yes, both are clinics and have decent hours; however, I really, really love the idea of prevention, education, and advocacy. I also really like the collaboration that happens with community outreach agencies.
Any ideas/places that I am not thinking of right off?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=817746©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,221 Views
- Feb 24 by Belle1005Some federally funded clinics (sort of like health departments with the state) have the same type of job a PHN has. I don't know much about those but I do know they're out there and their services. That's about all I know of.
- Mar 4 by cc_RNI currently work for my county's Department of Public Health in a clinic. We educate, educate, educate! We serve those in underserved communities in the following areas: reproductive health (sti's, birth control, etc), immunizations, TB and HIV/AIDS. I love it! I hope this helps.
- Mar 4 by mclennanPHNs make great CASE MANAGERS! Anywhere!
- Mar 5 by monkeybugNurse Family Partnership! National program, evidence-based. Google them and check out their website.
- Mar 9 by MandaRN94There are lots of opportunities for PHN! What area interests you -OB/GYN, Pedi, chronic health, etc... There are PHN jobs available just by speciality. I work in a family planning and STD clinic. There are also job for Pedi PHN case managers to follow preemies once they get home, FTT babies, CPS cases. If women's health interests you some domestic violence shelters have clinics attached, preg teen programs for case management, NFP programs. Chronic health -community ed and case management for DM, hypertension, etc.. Really the sky's the limit!