Inpatient psych nurse/pt ratioRegister Today!
- by Turtle in scrubs Nov 2, '09I'm considering a switch to psych and just curious. What is your nurse/pt ratio? What setting do you work in (acute care hosp vs psych facility)?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=436369©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 3,875 Views
- Nov 5, '09 by kiwipsychnurseAuckland New Zealand, Work in Forensic Mental health:
Ratio is 15 patients and 8 staff on the acute ward. Ratio's thoughout the service vary depending on acuity. IMO 15:8 is the best ratio I have ever come across.Last edit by kiwipsychnurse on Nov 5, '09 : Reason: Spelling error
- Nov 5, '09 by Turtle in scrubsQuote from kiwipsychnurseThanks for your reply. I was starting to think I didn't post this correctly.Auckland New Zealand, Work in Forensic Mental health:
Ratio is 15 patients and 8 staff on the acute ward. Ratio's thoughout the service vary depending on acuity. IMO 15:8 is the best ratio I have ever come across.
15:8 sounds great. I'm guessing when you say staff only some of the 8 are nurses...?? How many are nurses and what are the rest of the 8 staff members?
- Nov 5, '09 by kiwipsychnurseI would say 5 of the 8 would be R.N's. The other 3 would be P.A's (psych assistants)
- Nov 6, '09 by Turtle in scrubsQuote from kiwipsychnurseWow... that sounds like a great ratio, but I understand this probably has a lot to do with ratio. thanksI would say 5 of the 8 would be R.N's. The other 3 would be P.A's (psych assistants)
- Nov 6, '09 by Whispera22 patients with 2 nurses and 3 techs....on a psych intensive care unit...
- Nov 6, '09 by lovenandj, RNWhat do the ratios look like on night shift?
- Nov 6, '09 by kiwipsychnurseIn our acute service at night the patients are locked in their rooms. The ratio drops down to 3 staff to 15 patients.
One is always an R.N
22 patients with 5 staff in an acute forensic unit would be interesting. I'm sure it could be done, but I wouldn't be on the pay role.
- Nov 6, '09 by EarthChild1130When I worked inpatient, I worked nights...our adult wing had 26 beds and was usually full b/c we were the only game in town, so to speak.
We'd have 2, sometimes 3 RNs...3 or 4 techs...and 26 patients.
On the geri-psych side, we had 15 beds but usually only 6-7 pts at a time. So we'd have 1, sometimes 2 RNs on that side, and 3 techs, depending again on # of pts on the unit.
- Nov 6, '09 by WhisperaNight shift: one nurse, one tech, for up to 22 patients (adult intensive care psych, not forensic)