Which school would you choose?

  1. Help! I'm reconsidering a school I had formerly decided against. Which would you choose?

    School A:
    100% NCLEX pass rate last year (+)
    80-90% in previous years
    small school
    very very very unfriendly/rude advisors and administrative people (-)
    no Chemistry requirement (little +) :chuckle
    CNA course required for admission to nursing program (meaning $$$) (-)
    64 credits to go (plus the 6 credit CNA course)
    46 credits focused on nursing core (plus the 6 credit CNA course)
    very good chance of getting into nursing program Fall 2007 (+)
    I'd never get a summer off because I'd use that time to satisfy other course requirements (-)

    School B:
    90% NCLEX pass rate last year and previous years
    very large school
    very friendly/helpful advisors and administrative people (+)
    Chemistry is required (little -)
    no CNA course required (+)
    62 credits to go
    42 credits focused on nursing core
    earliest I could get into nursing program would be Fall 2008, possibly Spring 2009 (-)
    I'd spend a year to year and a half waiting around, with only 4 credits to take to satisfy other course requirements

    Cost will be slightly more at School A -- basically the cost of that CNA course ($600 - $800). Unfortunately I can't try for free course through an employer; too many small kiddos do it'd cost me to work. It'll already cost me some daycare for clinicals, but that's for a good cause anyway.

    Location isn't an issue. School B might be a little closer (25-minute drive), but even that's not a given. School A is a 45-minute drive to class a few times a week, but clinicals can be done very local to me.

    What to do........
    •  
  2. 11 Comments

  3. by   sunnyjohn
    how "unfriendly" are the folks at school A? Are you getting the :unfriendly" info from friends or other studnets who've attended the program? Idf so how reliable are those friends?

    Which would I attend? It depends, If you are not in a rush School B is not a bad option. you could always work saving money, take up a minor, keep your kids home and save up the day care money, etc.

    If you want out asap, school A is the way to go.
  4. by   AZmom
    Quote from sunnyjohn
    how "unfriendly" are the folks at school A? Are you getting the :unfriendly" info from friends or other studnets who've attended the program? Idf so how reliable are those friends?
    My personal experience alone in phoning in questions to advisors and someone in the nursing department (asst to the director). About all they do is direct me to their website, which is full of misinformation and tons of broken links. How relevant that all is to what the course and instructors are like....I don't know.

    Quote from sunnyjohn
    It depends, If you are not in a rush School B is not a bad option. you could always work saving money, take up a minor, keep your kids home and save up the day care money, etc.

    If you want out asap, school A is the way to go.
    While I'm not in a rush, I don't really want to sit around 2-3 semesters twiddling my thumbs either. I'm leaning towards school A. But the money for the CNA course is an issue, and me working isn't an option. I've four kids (5-in kindy, 4, 3, and 2 months). It'd cost me to work. Dh says we can make it work (funding the CNA course), but I know it'll be tight.
  5. by   SummerGarden
    Quote from AZmom
    Dh says we can make it work (funding the CNA course), but I know it'll be tight.
    So what? So it is tight? How do you think most of us on here are getting by? If you are irresponsible with budgeting, then I can understand your fear, but it still is not an excuse to not do what you have to do!

    If it makes you feel better to not use your DH's financial resources to fund the CNA course, then try funding the course a different way. Have a garage sale! Get rid of the JUNK or nice things you do not use around your house. I have sold many things in my house just to pay for textbooks. And I have no regrets.
  6. by   AZmom
    This isn't about not doing what it takes. It's (in part) about spending the little money that we do have wisely. It's also about picking a good school and a good program. I'm leaning towards the CNA required school, but I want to make sure going with that school is the right choice. We just can't afford to blow $600 - $800 for nothing.

    I've already got 3/4 of a rummage sale assembled to pay for my next leg in this whole school thing. This weekend or next I'll be holding it. I'm also a super couponer, careful budgeter......you get the picture.
  7. by   JaxiaKiley
    Personally, I'd go for school A, just because I would hate waiting around. Taking the CNA course would be worth it. And, then while you waited, you could get a job if you wanted to. But, I'm a very impatient person -- YMMV!
  8. by   cardiacRN2006
    AzMom, I'd also pick School A. Faster to get in, smaller school which is better, good campus, and did I mention 2 of my family members got their RN there (my mom being one of them)?!
  9. by   Nurse-To-Be-Joy
    I'd go to school A. I would just want in so I could be an RN sooner! And, the NCLEX pass rate is better.
  10. by   SummerGarden
    Quote from AZmom
    This isn't about not doing what it takes. It's (in part) about spending the little money that we do have wisely. It's also about picking a good school and a good program. I'm leaning towards the CNA required school, but I want to make sure going with that school is the right choice. We just can't afford to blow $600 - $800 for nothing.

    I've already got 3/4 of a rummage sale assembled to pay for my next leg in this whole school thing. This weekend or next I'll be holding it. I'm also a super couponer, careful budgeter......you get the picture.
    In that case, choose the school with the CNA requirement. How can extra education and work experience ever be a waste of time or money? Never mind the fact that the other school will take longer to receive acceptance. Becoming a CNA will not be to your detriment from what I have learned.
  11. by   shock-me-sane
    it might also benefit you to look into the attrition rate.
  12. by   AZmom
    Thanks everyone. Shooting for school A.

    I went on a hunt for a backup CNA course today. I hear the one at School A fills up fast and when I called they said they take first come first serve once it becomes registerable. Never had a shot at this semester and HAVE to have it in before applying. I was wrong on the price; it's roughly $750 through that school. Backup private college charges $1000 for the course. So long as I can put it off until next semester, we can come up with the money.

    I've also decided ---- I'm going to stop obsessing about the money. Will not be dropping the Chem class I'm currently enrolled in even though I won't need it for School A. Will complete all prereqs for both colleges (A&P 1, A&P 2, Chem, Micro, CNA course) and apply for both programs. I'm still leary about School A -- I just don't know much about it's reputation other than the 100% pass rate (which is both impressive and scary). Just in case for whatever reason School A doesn't work out, I want a prompt backup plan.

    Cardiac, it has a good reputation then?
  13. by   casi
    Try talking with a counsler from School A. See how friendly they are. You can't judge a school by talking to just one person over the phone.

    For the CNA requirement see if any of the nursing homes or hospitals in your area train CNAs that means getting paid while you train!

close