What specialty are you considering? - Page 3Register Today!
- Aug 6, '12 by ScarlettzMy first choice in psychiatric nursing. But, I think I would also like: geriatric psychiatric, neuro, oncology, med/surg.
I'll take just about anything, as it's been a fruitless search so far. The above are the fields that interest me most, though.
- Aug 6, '12 by carakristin1Haha, I picked nursing so I could jump around between specialties and not choose anything!
Seriously, though, I appreciate the variety of the career, and I can see myself trying a few different things before finding my niche. I have to say the only thing I don't see myself doing is L & D. I think my ultimate dream would be to go into forensic nursing, but we'll see where I go along the way.
- Aug 6, '12 by MedChicaI have no clue. I'm a GVN now and working in LTC psych.
It's fun. I'd never work in a regular nursing home.
- Dialysis. I like the autonomy of 'acutes' dialysis. I just don't like 1x1's...because I can't stay awake for them. 1x1's are a necessary evil. I figure. At clinicals once, I was pulled into the room to do 1x1's.
They tried to keep me in there all. Freaking. Day.
My instructor had to come rescue me.
The bloom was really off the rose for me as far as hospital clinicals are concerned. 'Clincals is what you make of it'...ha!
I'd like some time in the ICU or Med Surg as well. Not so much because I want to be there as I figure the exp would improve my skills a great deal. Plus, it creates more options.
I could've been working in one of the military hospitals, but..I did not follow up with my contact. I don't know. I spent a good decade or so in the military. It's like a bad marriage and it's too soon for a reconcilliation. LOL
I'm in no real rush to be in the hospital, though I miss the environment. I figure that there's plenty of time to get into one when I get my RN.
I have a few career paths in mind. I think it's just good at this point to keep my options open. Whatever I end up doing, I just want to be good at it and happy to do my job.
- Aug 6, '12 by Unique XVaries
Right now I'm working on my BsN but in Maryland, there is a program that you can take MS wise. If you take that program, it is a hybrid of Acute care nurse practitioner / Critical care clinical nurse specialist. Once taken, you are allowed to sit to take the exams whether NP or CNS wise.
- Aug 6, '12 by Chaotic94Labor and Delivery to then work my way up to NICU - that's my dream, but I will take whatever I can get as soon as I graduate!
- Aug 6, '12 by macalania54Right now I have my heart set almost completely on midwifery and women's health, but lately I've been reading and thinking more about HIV/AIDS nursing...
- Aug 7, '12 by NURSEinprogress91Hi everyone. i FOR sure plan to work as a geriatric nurse in the nursing home where i currently work in as a CNA. i loveeee long-term care and assisting the elderly population; they need us and our elderly are living longer ! I also work as a CNA at a hospital on a med/surg unit.. so I wouldn't mind being a med/surg nurse ! its very interesting working on this kind of unit, always busy, full of surprises lol
- Aug 7, '12 by sakiohmaPsychiatrics is my first choice, followed by (international) public health and forensics.
- Aug 7, '12 by ProudStudentI have a fear of learning a lot of skills during NS, and then never using all of them when I work in one specialty. I really have an urge to start with Med/Surg. Partially because I'm preparing myself for the case that I'm most likely to work Med/Surg as a new RN, but also because I think I'll see a little bit of everything. I want to gain as much experience as I can, before settling into one field if at all possible.
- Aug 7, '12 by makingithappen3When do you decide on a specialty? Is that something you decide while you are in the nursing program, and take specialized courses for it? I am currently in a 2-year ADN program, and am wondering if and when I will have to choose my specialty, which I would like to be cardiology.