Spring '13 & Summer '13 Class load
- 0Dec 7, '12 by pda1984Hello all! I have been a long time reader and many of your suggestions have helped me in getting my classes in order so I can get into nursing school. I have a decent background in sciences and for the past year and a half, I have been taking at least 12-15 credit hours or so and have maintained a 4.0 GPA. These are the only classes I have left before transferring completely over to WSU (only if I get accepted into their Nursing Program).
My question is that I have enrolled in my Spring courses: A&P (in class) & Stats (in class), Nutrition and Med. Terminology (both online). I am sure I can do it since I only work part-time but when I tell my fellow friends about my class load, they are freaking out more than me! Then I freak out. All my other classes I have done fine and I do well in class and online classes. Am i taking too much for my Spring classes? I know I will have no social life but that's ok. I really want to be able to get my pre-reqs and get into nursing school by Fall '13 or Spring '14.
Then I am thinking about taking Microbiology (in class) and Pathophysiology (online) in the summer. Is that doable or am I just taking on more than I can chew? I just would like to be able to enroll into these classes so that when the time comes for enrollment I have a guaranteed seat and not having to wait the Fall semester. I am taking all these classes at Butler CC in Kansas if that helps.
Any advice on surviving my courses and getting through them is appreciated!
- 776 Visits
- 0Dec 7, '12 by samsilvaGo for it!! It seems that you have been able to handle the course load before, this semester is no exception. This past semester I took A&P I & Lab, Human Development, Human Nutrition, Clinical Prep, and a required Career Exploration class. I have a 4.0. It is totally do-able. I always remind myself that if I can't do this, then there is no way I am going to make it through a nursing program! They are rigorous. And yeah, I have to make sacrifices but it will be soo worth it in the end!!
Just make sure you stay on top of all you work and you will be fine.
Are your friends on this career path too? Mine who are going into the medical field totally understand and are in the same boat. Those who aren't, however, think I am nuts.
- 0Dec 8, '12 by zoe92I would spread all those classes over 3 semesters (including summer) insead of trying to cram it into 1 regular semester & the summer. Pathophysiology shouldn't be terrible, but pairing it with an accelerated microbiology would be a lot. I would recommend for pring: A & P, Stats, & Med Term. For summer: Pathophysiology. For fall: Microbiology & Nutrition. Good luck!!
- 0Dec 8, '12 by SopranoKris4 classes in one semester is not that bad. How many credits is that? 12? 14? It's definitely do-able! I just took 17 credits this semester and I would NEVER recommend taking that many unless you're not working at all. This is my last week of the semester and my brain is fried right now (Physiology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Microbiology Lab, Intro to Health Professions and Human Growth & Development)
Med Term is pretty easy if you've already had exposure to other Latin-based languages. Nutrition isn't very hard either. I think I'm one of the few people that enjoyed Stats, not that tough for a math class. Just a lot of formulas to memorize and plug-n-chug. A&P is going to take up most of your study time.
As far as Patho & Micro both in the summer...that could be tough. I'm assuming you're taking A&P II, correct? (Most Patho courses require A&P I and II as a pre-req). Micro is a LOT of studying. However, if you're very strong in science and feel confident in your course load....go for it!
- 0Dec 8, '12 by x_factorYour spring schedule looks fine. Your summer schedule, not so much. I wouldn't cram Micro and Patho into one SUMMER semester, and then taking patho online? No way. A hard science being done in the summer AND online is risking your GPA. Not to say it can't be done, just know you're headed into a very intense, very heavy courseload crammed into a very short amount of time.
- 1Dec 8, '12 by i♥wordsYour spring schedule is almost exactly what I have this semester, except I'm taking micro instead of a&p and have another class (economics). You will do fine. Your summer semester looks a bit scary though. My school doesn't let us take micro and patho at the same time, and I think for good reason. You could probably do it, though, considering your record. To me micro is a lot more fun than A&P, but the lab is much more difficult. I've heard patho is hellish, but I haven't taken it so I don't know. I say go for it!
- 0Dec 9, '12 by SakuraChanYour Spring Semester sounds completely fine! I'm doing two science classes during the spring...haha!
Your summer schedule looks a bit intense though! At my CC, due to budget cuts in CA, we can only take a maximum of 8 units so I'm debating whether taking General Chem or Microbiology...hmm, we'll have to see! But doing two science courses during the summer sounds super intense!
Good luck! (: