Non-Nursing Undergrad trying to get into NursingRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Non-Nursing Undergrad trying to get into Nursing in Pre-Nursing Student, part of Nursing Student ... Hello! (This is my first post and I am excited to be here) I am currently a 4th year student at...by trace_y Jul 7, '12Hello! (This is my first post and I am excited to be here)
I am currently a 4th year student at UC Berkeley studying Social Welfare. I will be graduating this upcoming Spring 2013. After much thought, I have decided to totally change my plans and go into nursing. My current GPA at UCB is a 3.0; I was originally an Integrative Biology major (did 2 years of the required courses) and didn't do so well (got 8 C's since starting at Cal all in math and science). I am from a low-income background and my high school didn't even offer Chemistry so I was totally not prepared and got very bad advise from Advisors. My GPA before the major change was in the low 2.0.Since changing my major (1/2 a year ago) I have been doing really well (getting A's and B+'s in all my classes). I have taken some MCB and IB courses at UCB and done really well so I know that I have the potential to do well in sciences.
I have been looking at both ABSN and ELM programs in CA and don't really know what to choose or where to start to plan.
Programs I am interested in:
CSU Los Angeles
CSU Dominguez Hills
CSU Long Beach
SMU- Samuel Merritt Univ
I am interested in staying in CA as my family lives here. I made a list of all the possible programs I would like to go to and here are the pre-reqs I need:
- Life Span Psych
- Pathopsych (Only one program requires it)
- Chemistry (2 semesters; the chem courses I took at Cal dont cover Organic Chem and I really don't want to take OChem at Cal; I already failed Ochem once)
I know the programs are very competitive and my GPA is really low. I am in the process of starting an EMT program at UC Berkeley. I feel that the EMT experience could help with having some experience in the medical field.
- Is nursing even an option for me (because of my gpa)?
- How should I plan my schedule?
- I am required to take 13 units at UCB each semester. I am planning on going to a nearby community college to take the remaining prereqs.
- I was planning on taking 2 prereq's (microbio and psych) next semester, one science in Spring, and then do at least 3 each semester after until I finish.
- When should I take the GRE/TEAS?
- Who should I get letters of Recommendation from?
- I have strong relationships with previous SW, Soc, Chicano Studies professors.
- Should I do the EMT program?
- It is a 2 semester long program because of the required 13 units at UCB. It does not count for units.
- Which program (ABSN, ELMSN, or traditional BSN) would be the best option?
- Will my community college grades count as my overall undergrad GPA?
- If so, this could raise my overall GPA.
Any input would really help.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=753995©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 530 Views
- Jul 7, '12 by NyLALoveI sent you a PM..