Microbiology - Summer 2012 - Page 4Register Today!
- May 15, '12 by Darkstar1485TODAY was my first day of class. It was awesome! We prepared agar for out petrie dishes. It's a 12 week hybrid class, meaning all lectures and exams are online and we show up for lab once a week. I absolutely love the format. Great professor. The lab manual was only $4.50 and I paid 1.00 for my textbook! I'm in love... Lol
- May 19, '12 by alejandra01So how is your class going? Im going to take Micro in 3 1/2 weeks Summer 1 which could be June the 4th 2012 along with my first semester of the LVN program. So that way i can go straight into RN after LVN graduation and not have to wait a whole other year to start RN. Its the last class i need for RN program. I am nervous about it but i love science so maybe that will help.
- May 20, '12 by jocy_anneI start this class tomorrow night and am baffled at how quickly the last 2 weeks flew by! I'm hoping the next 8 weeks will go by just as fast, lol. Good luck to everyone starting the class this summer! I will definitely check in again tomorrow to let you know my initial thoughts on the class.
- May 23, '12 by jocy_anneOk, so I'm going on day #3 of this class now, and it's going well so far. I'm a little stressed because I've been running around constantly from work to school to the gym, etc. and I've barely been home the last couple days. Hopefully I'll fall into the routine soon and these 8 weeks will go by fast. The content is really interesting and my teacher seems really great. It's still a little early to tell, but I think it's going to be a great class!
- May 23, '12 by Darkstar1485We worked with E.coli yesterday. It was Awesome.
- May 25, '12 by 3ast3rnst4rI just started Micro yesterday. This is a 10 week class from 10am-3pm twice a week and so far I believe this will be a great class. My instructor is very laid back and easy going which is already a plus and really just wants our active participation in the class, that's not too much to ask right?Yesterday we discussed the history of micro and didn't even have to stay the entire time she allowed us to leave early! Ive already started studying though and based on some info about the class that ive received from other people, it looks like flashcards are the best way to memorize things,ill do my best to update whats going on in class from time to time. Good Luck Everyone!
- May 25, '12 by sandanrnstudentFIRST DAY OF MICRO --
What a lot to cover. We covered the entire first chapter and I don't have the money yet to even get the book. Cool thing is the professor prints off powerpoints and brings them to class for all the students! WAY cool... we will have either 3 or 4 exams and a final, along with 2 lab practicals! I actually enjoys learning all about the classifications (fungi, bacteria, helminths aka worms, etc.) as well as details about different types of worms, their scientific names, and crude pictures.
Lemme know how all of you do at the start of this summer in the dreaded micro. class!
- May 26, '12 by purplcavI just finished Micro this past semester (Jan - May) and I just loved it. It was a 16 week, but I give kudos to each and every one of you doing it in an accelerated format. I, personally, would never do that, so good for you.
Micro IS one of my most favorite science classes of all. It really changed the way I thought about cleanliness and has made me more aware of germs and such. Sure, I drive my husband more crazy now, but it's okay!
The best part is learning about how viruses and bacteria get into your system and the method it goes thru getting into your cells. Lab was fun too, and we did some nose and throat samples on blood agar. Did yall know that some of us carry around strep as our normal flora?? Made me think about who I had kissed in the past that carried that organism!!
Our teacher was amazing and only tested from powerpoints. She told us specifically what would be on the test and gave lotts of extra credit. Our final was NOT comprehensive and was only on organisms and diseases, so a lot of flash cards for that, but I learned a lot! I ended with an A, so I was very happy!
Good luck to all of you! This class has a lot of information, so study daily!!H
Here is a good book site that may assist you:
Online Textbook of Bacteriology
Best of luck!
- May 26, '12 by jgtdolphinI start Micro on June 4th (an 8 wk class). I'm nervous, but think I will do fine. I think the worst thing about this is having to be in a classroom for 5 hours twice a week(during summer & feeling like I'm neglecting my kids).
Goodluck to you all.
- May 28, '12 by gottagetmyrnSo...I started class last week! It is so hectic bc I have to go 4 days of the week, and work in between, as well as deal with my kiddos. This will be a long semester for me lol! I think I am going to like my teacher and so far the material is relatively interesting. I have never had above a C in any of my science classes (I took the others when I was young and not so motivated!!!) so I really want to try my best to get an A!. He said he doesn't give us a review/study guide or anything for the tests, and that we just better know it all! That scared me so I have been studying everything! We have to print out our notes and then he goes over them in class. But there is so much in the book that he Doesn't go over.... I am a little rusty on my studying so I hope I can pull this off good luck everyone, I can't wait to get that first test behind me!!