Microbiology before finishing A&P?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Microbiology before finishing A&P? in Pre-Nursing Student, part of Nursing Student ... I have taken a General Biology course and Intro to General, Organic, and Biochemistry course in the...by fbrlauren Feb 7I have taken a General Biology course and Intro to General, Organic, and Biochemistry course in the past.
This semester, I'm taking Anatomy and Microbiology.
The professor suggested that students should not take microbiology until physiology is completed. I'm a good student and am able to commit a lot of hours to studying, but am I just not prepared for this class?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=814062©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 698 Views
- Feb 8 by Chelsea13I'm taking A&P I and Microbio concurrently as well. It seems that ALL professors discourage a.) taking both together and b.) their idea of one before the other, I've heard both opinions.
I know for this first unit of each, I encountered a lot of overlapping material saving me serious study time. I feel as though I'll do well in both classes, it's just about prioritizing and making sure I'm studying enough and studying the right things. Hopefully you don't have tests on the same day! I have a test in each class on the same day in 2 weeks + a micro lab test. Ugh!
- Feb 8 by PrinceCharmingAt least in my Micro class we're expected to already know certain things we learned in A&P I and to a certain extent A&P II, but as long as you take notes and can look up what your professor says you should already know you will be fine.
- Feb 8 by RubySlippers06I'm taking both right now and, I too, have a ton of overlapping. Since you've had some chemistry, I think you'll be okay. I've never taken chem nor general bio; so I've had to play catch up a little. It doesn't help that my A&P teacher teaches the class from a chemistry perspective and that I took A&P I at a different school. Still, I feel I'll do well in both courses.
- Feb 8 by zoe92I took microbiology a semester before A & P 1 and 2. I did fine. Everyone has their own opinion of when to take what, but I don't think it matters as long as you are willing to study.
- Feb 9 by SopranoKrisI took Physiology & Micro at the same time. Definitely do-able! A LOT of work...but definitely do-able
- Feb 9 by acmjI doubt it would really be a problem if you took multiple heavy-sci/math courses together in the past and did well... but that's really something you're going to have to trust your own judgement own. I think if you are diligent about studying and paying attention in both classes, it's certainly possible to do well! GL!
- Feb 9 by melc0305Should be fine. I took AP I, then Micro, now taking AP II. I think having chemistry before Micro would have been more helpful. There is always some overlap between all of them.
- Feb 10 by babyroweHi, I took A&P I and now I'm taking Micro and A&P I and my General Biology class definitely gave me the foundation of knowledge I needed for Micro. You for sure need basic knowledge of Chemistry and know it well, or else you'll be lost in Micro. They will also help you when it comes to Genetics and Taxonomy. My Micro class just touches the surface of all these subjects, but you really have to know them well to understand the big picture.
- Feb 14 by fbrlaurenI considered dropping Micro because my professor scared me off! haha But a lot of people seem to be saying that taking A&P before Micro isn't really necessary so I'll stick it out. None of my exams are on the same day--Thank God! Good luck to you this semester!