I need some inspiration & encouragement!Register Today!
- by Serendipity27 Jun 13Hello Everyone,
It has been a lifelong dream/goal of mine to go to nursing school and become a nurse. Sometimes life takes us on unexpected paths though so I did not go to nursing school straight out of high school... I did earn an undergraduate and graduate degree though in other fields... after being out of school for over 2 years, I finally have things in order to go back to school to fufill this dream. I work full time too so I am nervous about not having enough time to focus on my classwork. I know that I will work hard to study and everything but I am still so nervous about going back to school!! I do not want to fail!
I go back in a couple of weeks to start my first prerequisite course... I will have about a years worth of prereqs to complete before I can even apply to the nursing program. I need chemistry, AP1 & 2, a micro lab... just to name a few.)
I need some inspiration and encouragement! Feel free to tell me your fear/struggles when you first got started.
- Jun 13 by lorirn2bIt's probably not going to be too overwhelming, since you've done this before. You will figure out how to get it all done. I was fortunate to have a work schedule that I was able to flex around my classes. I'm not sure how people do it who work full time, have families, and go to class full time. Those people deserves medals. I am older, 49, my kids are grown, successful and educated, so it's my turn and I went all in. It took me a couple years of pre reqs because I had only a few college courses in the nineties and only my ENG will transfer. But I finished pre reqs, started on co reqs, applied twice and finally got in on my third time applying. We have a very small college, they only accept about forty people a year between two campuses. We start the nursing program August 26. Good luck and go for it!
- Jun 13 by studentrn313I'm 27, I work full time, I have a three year old son, a husband, and a huge dog with tons of energy. I think when you want something you just go for it.. seriously. I've had tons of things try to throw me off my game (my sons biological father physically abused him, death in the family, my father AND mother both had heart attacks, etc). You just keep pushing. There are times I don't even know if I'm awake or sleeping. I went part time to get my prereqs out of the way, especially when I was raising my son by myself before I found my husband. But now I go full time - next semester I have 13 credits.. can't wait!!
If this is what you want to do, go for it, and don't look back. It's a tough journey.. but it's WORTH it. I love my classes, and I love most of my professors. Actually a lot of my professors seem to appreciate an "older" student in the class (I'm in school with a LOT of younger people).
You can do it!!
- Jun 13 by KimbsntobeYou sound like you want this bad enough..so you will do well just push through and remember you can do this and never sweat the small stuff good luck and congrats...I know you will succeed
- Jun 14 by NeoNurse2BeI agree with Kimbsntobe, you definitely seem like you want this just as bad as the rest of us. You just have to stay motivated and remember through all the sweat and tears that it will all be worth it in the end if it's what you really want. I can honestly say that all the odds are against me right now and it doesn't help that one of my teachers tries to discourage me. I am taking 5 classes this summer which is darn near impossible, as if I don't already have an 18-month old and husband that needs my time as well. I still have to cook, clean, etc and somehow I'm maintaining. If I can do it, you can do it. I have shed many tears, ready to throw in the towel, but I am not a quitter. If you want it bad enough, you can do it!