Has anyone else taken College Chemistry wothout HS chem? - Page 3Register Today!
- Jun 17, '12 by irisheyesRsmilinI never took HS Chem and took Chem 101 in college. I am a poor student in math, but managed to get a C in the class anyhow. I had a great teacher and studied my butt off. You will do fine!
- Jun 17, '12 by ruth88I didnt take chem in hs.I took it in college,and thank God the school that I went to had tutor.That helped out big time.Check out the library and see if they have a learning resources center.
- Jun 18, '12 by LaceElaineQuote from charli_appleYou're completely right. I'm so excited about this coming semester. If I have the determination I can do as well as I want. Thanks everyone for being so supportive! I'm feeling much more confident in myself! I'm actually a little excited to take on this class to show myself what I'mI capable of.You have to keep in mind that we're FORCED to go to high school and that plays a big part in the grades we earn there. I failed every science class I ever took in HS....lol I scored A's and B's in those same courses in college. How you performed in HS has nothing whatsoever to do with how you'll perform in college. How serious you are about you college education will dictate the grades you earn.
- Jun 18, '12 by bigboiI don't remember taking chemistry in high school. I just took it two semesters ago and loved it. My teacher was extremely picky but she curved a lot. I ended up with an A in the class. As mentioned above, use all the resources available to you in order to pass the class.
- Jun 18, '12 by amchugh209I was so nervous prior to beginning my college Chem 1 class as I had a difficult time in high school..I barely passed! But I ended up with a B+ as a final grade (no curves) and I'm pretty darn proud of that. I worked my butt off to get that grade as I remembered nothing from high school. Not to mention I was out of high school for over 10 years anyway. So it can be done!
- Jun 18, '12 by FutureNurseShammieQuote from brenayThis motivates me alot. I'll become a freshman in pre nursing this fall & I'll be keeping this in mind. We're both similar too with the Same gpa and mindset in high schoolCharli_apple that is the most accurate piece of advice I have ever read! You are right 100%!!!! I know that when I was in high school, I didn't really care. My parents took me to school everyday but I really did not care about school. I just went to see my friends and hang out. I did not care about grades. It was not until graduation day when I saw everyone with their 15 honor cords that I realized that I played my entire time in HS. I graduated with a 2.8 GPA which isn't horrible but it wasn't the 3.5's and on up that everyone else had. You are absolutely right. How you performed in HS has NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING to do with how you'll do in college. As of now I'm a sophmore in college and I have a 3.3 GPA and I am looking VERY forward to the fall! I have a yearning for school that I have never had before! I get so excited and I strive for EXCELLENT grades. How serious you are in college will absolutely determine the grades you earn. I'm almost to that 3.5!!! I also never took Chemistry in HS and you and me are in the same boat LaceElaine. I plan to take General Chemistry in the Spring of 2013 but I am taking Principles of Chemistry in the fall (it's the same as Intro to Chemistry) I feel confident because I believe in myself!!!! We can do it!!
- Jun 19, '12 by momandwifeI managed an A (98%) in chemistry with NO chemistry background....BUT at the time my hubs was in school to be a forensic scientist (in which he graduated..) so he was my tutor. My advice: snag an awesome tutor AND harass (not literally) your chemistry professor. I was in my professors office every other day it seemed asking for help.
- Jun 22, '12 by hellonewyearI was homeschooled. While I took my SAT's, the education in my highschool years was "self-directed" to say the least. I never took a biology class, or studied it much less chemistry ect. I have taken college Microbiology, and General Biology and recieved A's in both. Class content should not assume you know the material prior, unless it has prerequisites that must be met. You should be fine!
- Jun 25, '12 by desireepeachI havent taken college Chem yet, but I also didnt take H.S Chem
- Jun 25, '12 by Hoosier69[quote=laceelaine;6603108]hello everyone!
i've already asked a question regarding college chemistry difficulty. you all helped alleviate my worries. but now i'm second guessing myself again.
like i've said before, because of personal problems in my life at the time, i was unable to take high school chemistry. now, i need college chem. i wasn't so worried until my cousin told me she got a c in the same class/teacher i'll be taking. and she took hs chem and physics. that makes me think if she got a c, i'm bound to fail!!! although, i did get an a+ in college algebra even though math is my weakest subject.
has anyone else been in a similar situation? please be honest, do you think i have any chance at all in this class?
by the way, i did go out and buy chemistry for dummies and i'm reading it now. thanks for the advice![\quote]
i never took chemistry while in high school but plan to take it at ivy tech in the future. i have several resources to use, including khanacademy.org. good luck with your classes!
p.s. my name is elaine, too!