gpa to get into nursing school?
- 0Sep 22, '07 by hushpupgrlhello everyone...i'm currently taking some prerequistes to get into nursing school. i have already have an undergraduate degree in accounting, so i haven't taken a science class in a LONG time. i don't know exactly what kind of grades i'm going to get, so i was wondering what kind of gpa did everyone have to get into nursing school.
- 78,010 Visits
- 2Sep 22, '07 by nursechris2008at the community college i went to, i needed at least a 3.0. is it just me or does it seem so competitive. sometimes i think that i would rather do something else. know what i mean? but of course, like all nurses lawn mowing or landscaping won't pay the bills. this past semester the lowest they accepted was 3.2. i squeaked in with a 3.4. whew!!!! *wiping brow*. :spin:
- 0Sep 22, '07 by AsherahThere is no universal GPA that will get into every nursing program out there, except maybe a 4.0 (and maybe not even that, these days). The point being, each program has different cut off GPAs or averages. To get an idea of what type of GPA you will need to be competitive, you need to target each school you are considering and consult with their admissions officers or websites.
To add to the complexity, you will need to determine if you are trying for an ADN at a community college, another bachelors or accelerated BSN, or a direct-entry MSN. Each type of program will have different GPA expectations.
The more you know about each program you are interested in, and the earlier you know it, the better! Good luck!
Last edit by Asherah on Sep 22, '07
- 0Sep 23, '07 by catzy5Quote from hushpupgrlhello everyone...i'm currently taking some prerequistes to get into nursing school. i have already have an undergraduate degree in accounting, so i haven't taken a science class in a LONG time. i don't know exactly what kind of grades i'm going to get, so i was wondering what kind of gpa did everyone have to get into nursing school.
My school is strictly GPA no letter no essay no entrance exams. My school only takes 10 applicants in the fall and 20 in the spring hundreds of people apply, a 4.0 is a must. I also just found out that some students have started taking Honors classes and earning 4.2. I just applied for the spring program I have a 4.0 I will be so angry if I don't get in because I have never heard of the honors classes until this past month. I will say though the GPA is for only pre requisites so if you have not taken all the sciences yet but didn't have a steller GPA in undergrad work then you would be able to have a 2nd chance. Also this is just my school several other schools around that have different entry requirements, I chose my school because I thought I had a better chance at getting the grades then writing essays and taking entrance exams or being on a wait list. Oh ya one more thing make sure when you check this information for your school you actually talk to someone in the admissions department, because if you look at my school website they tell you 2.5GPA is all that is required, thats just the minimum to apply
- 0Sep 23, '07 by KnorremeisjeHere in Arizona you need a GPA of 2.0 to apply to a nursing school at the Maricopa Community Colleges. There is no competition when it comes to GPA scores, everybody gets thrown into a big bowl and every semester names get picked out.
Honestly, I would prefer them selecting accordingly to GPA, those with the highest chance of success will get to go first. The GPA does count for ASU, and the minimum requirement there is 2.5 or 3.0, I think.