Fall 2012 Microbiology Students -- STAND UP! - page 7
Since we had these threads when I was in A&P I and II, and I thought I'd start one for Microbiology. Anybody else delving into the world of bacteria and viruses this fall? Let's start a support thread! Let's share our victories... Read More
- 0Sep 2, '12 by ShannonBerry11I'm starting the second week of Micro. The material isn't difficult so far, and my professor is amazing! He actually co-wrote our lab book, which makes integrating the lab and class easier, I think. I really enjoyed our last lab - effectiveness of handwashing and aseptic technique - so it should be great. Our lecture professor posts his powerpoint slides online, so it helps knowing what we're going to go over before class starts. So excited! Good luck everyone!
- 0Sep 2, '12 by SopranoKrisQuote from Ev1987Never to late to join us! Welcome to the wonderful world of MicrobiologyWow... I'm a little late! Anyway, good luck to everyone this semester. I start lecture and lab on the 8th. I hear my professor is kinda difficult, so I've already written out a weekly schedule to keep track of study time. My course book is 'Microbiology: an introduction' by Tortora, Funke and Case with Pearson eText. (wish me luck!)
- 1Sep 2, '12 by boomertxJust found this thread. Started Microbiology last week. First time I'd used a microscope for more than just looking at a slide that was already setup. Found I had alot of trouble with working the darned thing and Teacher told me to relax and that it would be okay. I don't think I'm a labgeek.
- 1Sep 2, '12 by carakristin1Quote from boomertxHaha, I had the same issue. I am horrid with microscopes and was the last person to leave lab the other day. What can I say? I was determined to find that cholera on the slide.Just found this thread. Started Microbiology last week. First time I'd used a microscope for more than just looking at a slide that was already setup. Found I had alot of trouble with working the darned thing and Teacher told me to relax and that it would be okay. I don't think I'm a labgeek.
- 0Sep 5, '12 by KristinaTI had my first lab quiz last week. It was a cinch, 10/10 and I was feeling good.
But then I had my first lecture quiz today........
....and I got a 65%!!! I can't believe it! I am so mad....I do not get grades like that! The good thing is that he drops one quiz but I wanted to save that in case something came up that is unexpected. This is a definite reality check and now I've realized that my current study efforts are not going to be good enough and I need to step it up a couple of notches.
::walks away and cracks open book::
- 0Sep 5, '12 by Blue Felt FedoraI'm loving lab so far. The hands-on stuff is fascinating. My only complaint is my chair is so low, some days I may as well sit on the floor.
As for lecture, I'm still trying to find my sea legs. I don't have my study system figured out yet, and it's making me crazy. First test is Tuesday. I've got to get this studying thing figured out!
- 0Sep 5, '12 by jachfletchSo your post sounds a lot like my professor! My first lecture test tomorrow. He is supposed to be one of the hardest Micro teachers at my school. So far I like him. He seems like he knows his stuff and he covers a lot in the online lectures (I am taking a hybrid course. Half online, half in the lab) Luckily he drops our lowest grade also. I usually do poorly on the first test because I am not sure of the professors preferred testing method. Then I pick up on their "cues" abd do well afterwards. Well good luck on the rest!