Does anyone know of any schools that give priority admission to veterans?Register Today!
- by Nurse Falker Sep 19, '11I have been doing a lot of research lately to find if there are any schools out there that give veterans priority admission. So far I have found quite a few and was wondering if anyone else would know of any.
The reason why I am looking for priority enrollment is the fact that my pre reqs and overall gpa is 3.0. And no I don't have a previous degree. So if anyone has any suggestions or advice, post it up
- Sep 19, '11 by CourtneyLRI can't actually help answer your question because I did not realize veteran status was a consideration for admission to any programs.
With all the respect in the world, can I ask if this is just for veterans who have some type of experience relevant to health care? Something that would indicate a greater likelihood of success in the nursing program compared to someone who was not a veteran?
- Sep 19, '11 by SummitRNLook at nursing programs at Jesuit universities. Obviously, they won't let you in if you are below qualifications and all admissions are competitive, but Jesuit philosophy values service before self. These schools look heavily at the qualified applicant as a whole. I'm not saying it's a guarantee, just something they may consider, nor is their view of service limited to the armed forces.
- Sep 19, '11 by andrewschultzI am a combat veteran myself and have just applied to a vocational school for the LVN program. I can tell you that private for profit schools love our educational benefits and that may be a swing factor. Sad but true. I was told by my admissions rep that as a veteran, we can handle stress a bit better than the average civilian, have an outstanding work ethic and have the ability to think quickly on our feet and multitask. All which is debatable because we all know of Soldiers that are not up to par. What ever it is you are looking for, just make sure that you apply yourself 100 percent. This way you know that you earned everything you have and it's not because you are a vet.
- Sep 20, '11 by Nurse FalkerCourtney LR. Being a veteran in particular schools can give you priority admission. But being a veteran with medical experience is a definite plus.
SummitAP Thanks. I'll definitely check that out.
andrewschultz Thanks for your two cents. I'm aware of this since I checked out a couple for-profit institutions. My aim is for a school that offers a BSN, preferably a private school that isn't looking to strictly make profit.