Do schools give male students an advantage?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Do schools give male students an advantage? in Pre-Nursing Student, part of Nursing Student ... This question just dawned on me. Now, I don't expect nor want special treatment, but I was...by Lukes089 Aug 17, '12This question just dawned on me. Now, I don't expect nor want special treatment, but I was wondering if colleges look at gender when deciding who gets through into the nursing program.I have no idea if anyone knows, but I thought it was a good topic for conversation. Thanks!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=772971©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,017 Views
- Aug 17, '12 by BostonFNPThat wouldn't be legal.
- Aug 17, '12 by RNsRWeSeriously? No. Individual instructors may show favoritism to this student or that based on any number of reasons (none of which they will admit to, because THAT would be illegal as well).
But to get into school? No.
- Aug 17, '12 by Lukes089Thanks for the responses.
- Aug 17, '12 by rubatoThey don't admit it, but I think my school does.
- Aug 18, '12 by BlueChocolateCatI believe they may, to an extent.
Gender issues like this exist in a lot of different areas in the professional and educational world. In the past two decades, there has been a huge push to get women involved in science, particularly engineering because it is a male dominated field. Likewise, male nurses are very valuable because they are necessary in certain situations such as cultural and/or religious preferences of some patients regarding receiving care from the opposite gender. Men are encouraged to enter this field because it is so heavily female dominated.
- Aug 18, '12 by SaysfaaYes.
It isn't legal but it is illegal the same way scholarships don't discriminate based on gender or race. It just means they only discriminate in certain ways. The push for diversity and the need to protect themselves from discrimination lawsuits if they don't have enough diversity trumps real non-discrimination.
- Aug 18, '12 by jt43Absolutely.
- Aug 18, '12 by emsti21I was told by my school that males have an advantage when it comes to the selection process for nursing programs.
- Aug 18, '12 by RN2BKSI think so!