Being nervous about the science and math of nursing schoolRegister Today!
- by mzhendrix10 Jun 25, '12I have been so nervous about what all i would have to face in nursing school. The thing i dread the most is .... Math
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=748647©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,664 Views
- Jun 25, '12 by IndyElmerWhat have you done to prepare for the math part? There are some good books for mastering the math basics and the nursing application part.
One of my classmates had NO science experience prior to deciding to be a nurse, and she ended up being really successful. It was hard work for her, but she used free biology department tutors as needed and studied with people who had science backgrounds.
- Jun 25, '12 by AmyinNC05I can understand how you feel. I recently picked up a book on math for nurses from my local library to work through some of the dosage calculations in hopes it will help me out when we do start on that in the program. Maybe you could try do the same. The one I checked out really breaks things down for you and explains exactly how to calculate the dosages.
- Jun 25, '12 by marcos9999There is little math in nursing school. You just have to brush up in basic math (fractions, metric system conversions) and than as for the math itself there are about 6 or 7 type of operations which come up every time. If you are anxious about it I recommend getting books on the subject and start practicing about a 1/2 hour every day. Don't just do it to prepare for a test, do it every day a little.
- Jun 25, '12 by AustincbMy school requires a math dosing class maybe you could find a school that has one? Or even find the book and buy it to study
- Jun 25, '12 by desireepeachI worry about the same thing. lol Im good at everything, except math. i hate math
- Jun 25, '12 by Hoosier69Check out khanacademy.org. His name is Salman Khan. He has over 2,000 videos on his website, ranging from math (all facets of math, including Algebra), as well as Chemistry and Biology videos.
- Jul 14, '12 by mzhendrix10Thanks everyone for your reply!
- Jul 14, '12 by tothepointeLVNIt's hard but you can do it.
- Jul 15, '12 by JessicaMarie52108I too am quite nervous..Math was NEVER a strong point for me and I've had little exposure to science. I did find a pretty cool website though: Academics at Free-Ed.Net I'm not sure how in depth it is yet but I'm going to look at it a bit more tonight. It even has a section for preparing for your nursing pre-req's i.e.A&P, Science, Biology, etc.
Good luck to you!