anyone waiting for letter w/classes left

  1. I was just wondering how many of you have applied, but still have academic classes to take before the program starts. All of my pre-reqs are complete except 5 non-nursing courses and I plan to take 3 classes in the Summer. I am waiting so anxiously for my letter but worried I won't score enough points to get in this year. Anyone in the same boat and how did it turn out for you. Thanks.
    •  
  2. 20 Comments

  3. by   Glimmer
    Quote from sobelle
    i was just wondering how many of you have applied, but still have academic classes to take before the program starts. all of my pre-reqs are complete except 5 non-nursing courses and i plan to take 3 classes in the summer. i am waiting so anxiously for my letter but worried i won't score enough points to get in this year. anyone in the same boat and how did it turn out for you. thanks.
    i still have several gen ed classes to complete. the nursing dept told me to submit my application this time around just to see if i could get in. so i am waiting it out now. they have accepted students that have not completed a single class before (but that was years ago) and have also accepted students that have only completed one or two classes... guess we will see what happens this time around. letters are supposed to be mailed by next friday so hopefully i will know soon!

    alnee
  4. by   dettwiller5
    Quote from sobelle
    I was just wondering how many of you have applied, but still have academic classes to take before the program starts. All of my pre-reqs are complete except 5 non-nursing courses and I plan to take 3 classes in the Summer. I am waiting so anxiously for my letter but worried I won't score enough points to get in this year. Anyone in the same boat and how did it turn out for you. Thanks.
    I have one more class to take after I complete the one I'm taking now. I take the NET on May 9th and then will have an interview about a week later. I have heard that it doesn't take long after the interview to hear something. I'm taking Microbiology in the fall and hope to start in January.
  5. by   Maxs
    At the College of Lake County there's only one 5 credit hour anatomy and physiology which combines both sections in one, and UIC requires at least 8 credit hours of A&P, I am going to have to take one more, but still I got accepted for this fall. I just think it really depends on whether you're going for the 2 years or four years.

    maxs
  6. by   Maverick80
    i finshed my pre-reqs last fall 04' I am going to Kent State University and the last few years things have gotten crazy....We have the biggest program in Ohio currently. There are so many students that even though they take about 180 for fall and about 50 for spring i was unable to get in for spring of 05'. Last fall they let in over 400 pre and prep nursing students...which they don't have the space to fill at all...so it's getting really competative. I am very much involved and know the assistant dean very well..although i don't know for sure..i am pretty much waiting for them to review applications and send letters from last fall...it's not even that i wasn't qualified to get in in the spring i was but they were trying to get students in from last spring and early summer. Waiting for a letter is hard...i know i have been waiting for a few months but in the meantime i am finishing up LER's (liberal education requirements aka non-nursing courses) plus i am also taking some of the nursing classes that you don't have to be in the program to take like genetics and nutrition and human growth and development and human phys, and physiological chemistry. It is going to take me 5 years to finish my BSN program given that i get in the fall but from what i hear i should have nothing to worry about!!
    To let you know my BSN program actually fits in non-nursing courses in your junior and senior year anyway you just have to have your 4 basic sciences with a B- average at least 30 credits of course work completed and at least a B- cumulative GPA to get in!!
    Last edit by Maverick80 on Apr 10, '05
  7. by   momto4nurse
    I am going for a two year ASN, since it will be quicker for me even though I am about to get my first associates in Arts and Sciences. (I would need more chem to go for the BSN.) I have applied for the fall of '05, and only have one class left that is considered a "pre-req"- Pharmacology. I am in A&P and math right now, and have already taken Nutrition, A&P I, Microbiology, and all the others included in the degree, but not the program courses. This program is quite popular as well, they had like 230 applicants for 50 spaces in the fall. They go on a point system, where you get points for having a degree, having any other certifications (like CNA) being a resident, and one point for each class you have that is part of the program- like sociology, math, nutrition etc. I have 15 points, and I guess you need at least 14 to even compete! I won't hear until July, and we would start in August! So I am in agony here...waiting like all of you!
  8. by   adelle
    A&P II, nutrition and statistics... all of which I'm taking now. I can only hope that the grades I've gotten in the prereqs up til now are good enough to prove I'll pass! Good luck to you all!
  9. by   littlenursey
    I already applied to a couple of schools..and while waiting I'm taking MICROBIOLOGY and NUTRITION, and also General Ed Requirment SPANISH and HISTORY
    It's not too bad u know...taking classes keep me from going crazy while waiting for the answer from them nursing school
  10. by   Katydidit34
    I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. There isn't a snowball's chance in h$*& that you could be competitive here unless all of your prereq's were done. At the community college where I want to go, they operate on a point system as well. You really have to have every point you can get to compete. Of course, they also consider g.p.a. and entrance exam scores. It is a NIGHTMARE!! I have just applied for the third time. I have excellent exam scores and a 3.62 g.p.a., plus all of my prereqs. complete and am waiting to find out if I'm going to get in this time. There are 100 spaces each semester and nearly 400 apply. It's tough out there. Texas Women's University offers a BSN but they go soley on the g.p.a. Last semester the cut off was 3.7. It's really quite unbelievable considering that just 5 years ago, you could get in with prereq's left to finish. It's nuts!!
  11. by   brwnngj
    I have A&P II, Microbiology, Life Span, and Philosophy left to take and I am hoping to have my acceptance letter in the near future. The Dean of Nursing told me I have a 99% chance of getting in this fall it is that 1% that scares me.
  12. by   momto4nurse
    That is really crazy that so many schools are becoming as competitive as they are. It is nice in some ways, because they get students in there who really want to be there, and have jumped through all the hoops- but on the other hand it does leave so many others who seem to be so ready that don't get in. The only TRUE pre-req's in our school are A&P I and II, and Micro. Of course there are all the pre-req's to those classes, but also NO ONE gets in with just those anymore. Everyone has completed every non-nursing course they can before entering the program. It has it's advantages, the program isn't as stressful as it would be while taking math, English etc. as well as the program classes. Although, it takes so many people 4+ years to complete a two year ASN program!!!
  13. by   sobelle
    Looks like I'll be one of those taking classes for 4 yrs for ASN Program because I got my letter today & I didn't make it in this year. I did not have as many points as other applicants who have completed their biology classes. I knew it was a long shot because I had so many classes left, but its still a bummer. I do have the option of applying for the LPN Program and then apply for LPN Mobility for RN, but I'm going to think about it over the weekend before I decide. Thanks to everyone for your responses.
  14. by   momto4nurse
    Sorry to hear the bad news Sobelle, that really stinks!!! :angryfire Best of luck deciding what to do next!

close