Seattle U - APNI 2013 - Page 9Register Today!
- Jan 13 by icelindHey everyone, my name's Caleb and I'm new to the board but also applied for the 2013 program-good luck to us all! Anyone have any interviewing tips? (on the off-chance that we all get interviews!) From reading older posts, I know Calinca has been through the process but wasn't sure if anyone else had experience interviewing for grad schools/competitive jobs, etc...
- Jan 15 by Cura te ipsumAdult/Gero murse.
- Jan 17 by salinnHi icelind -
These questions were posted by someone else on another board for a direct entry master's program so I can't take credit for them. However, I have had a couple interviews and they really helped me prepare. After going through the list of questions and answering them aloud I felt really confident going into my interview.
Only a few more weeks and we'll hear about interviews from SU! Good luck to all!
Why did you pick your specialty for the MSN?
What will you bring to the table for the MSN? (What skills/experiences will you bring to SU? How will you contribute to the class?)
Why not Med School? Why don't you want to be a doctor?
(At this point they will be looking for confidence, and they want to see that you definitely know this is the career for you. So have a great answer for the med school vs. nursing school)
Why not PA?
What have you done to prepare yourself for nursing school? (Talk about your volunteer work and research you did on the nursing
profession here, not class work, everyone did that.)
What qualities make a good RN?
Why did you apply to SU?
Do you like teamwork or to work on your own. (Say both, you like you to take personal responsibility for your actions and
contribution, but enjoy what can be done in teams. Nursing is all about teamwork, with other nurses and the MDs, techs, NPS
What do you know about the demands of this program?
What do you do when you don't get along with the nurses on your floor?
What do you do if you do not agree with the nurse who is precepting you?
How will you keep yourself from burning out?
How do you know when you're being a good nurse?
Describe a situation where you've had to prioritize and organize a list of tasks
What do you bring to the profession of nursing?
What do you think the hardest thing about being a NP will be?
How do you handle adversity/challenges?
What do you think it will be like being in a master's program with people who have been working as nurses for years?
How do you handle competition?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
Do you plan to do research or earn a PhD?
What do you think will be the most difficult thing about being a nurse?
How will you prioritize your day?
Describe an ethical conflict that you've gone through
Describe a frustrating experience at work and how you dealt with it
Describe your strengths and weaknesses.
How do you handle difference? Give an example.
- Jan 17 by icelindThank you so much salinn! I've been trying to collect my thoughts and find out what types of questions I should prepare for but this set of questions will definitely help me focus in more.
- Jan 17 by salinnOh and one more thing! I was asked in my interviews what books, websites, blogs, and/or magazines I have read/follow about my field.
- Jan 25 by benchpresslbsNew just in (1/25/13)...It looks like the msn/apni applications are in the finishing stages. I just got an email from the Director of Grad Admission........
Nursing faculty will be finishing their review of your application materials around the beginning of February then meeting to determine which applicants will be invited to interview for the program. For your planning purposes, please note we are planning to conduct interviews between February 23 - March 2.
- Jan 25 by Calincabenchpress, I just received it too. Just so everyone know, the email with my interview invite came from the same address, signed by JS as well.
- Jan 27 by icelindI received it too! Do you know if there is any flexibility to the date that they ask you to come in? My wife is due to give birth to our first child on Feb 26th...
- Jan 27 by CalincaCaleb, I can't tell for sure but I really think so. They will send you an email and you could just reply explaining your situation. However, how are you planning on doing this ahead of time (just curious)? Hopefully you two will have family around to cover for you - the interview only takes 30 minutes so I have a feeling you will be just fine! Congratulations on your first child, is it a boy or a girl? I have 3 boys 10, 3 1/2 and almost 2. I'm sending you and your wife good thoughts for a wonderful birth day.
- Jan 28 by icelindYes we do have family very close thankfully! We have also been fortunate enough with our two jobs to put away a good deal of savings to live on/take out some loans for the program. I have also been seriously looking into the NHSC scholarship in primary care for the first two years of the program, it seems like such an amazing opportunity to both give back to the community as well as pay for school and living while in school! We're having a girl: never thought I would be this excited to have a house full of pink! Thank you for your message.