CCRN needed for SRNA?Register Today!
- by ShoogleBear Oct 11, '12Hi guys, have an interview coming up soon. Have great GPA and couple years of critical care experience. I'm concerned I don't have my CCRN yet. I'm studying for it and plan to take it in January. My questions is: how important is that certification when it comes to getting in?
Thank youThank you
- Oct 12, '12 by focker14The thing you have to remember is that usually everyone else has a good GPA and GRE scores if they are applying. The CCRN can set you apart from them. Although many schools are now requiring it to even apply. Does it make you a better applicant? It won't hurt!
I'd suggest just taking the test. It isn't extremely hard if you study for it. Good luck in your process!
- Oct 12, '12 by CPhT2RNstudentI would take it. Everyone wants to stand out. You could be edged out for someone with similar qualifications +CCRN. It could be the difference between getting in and having to wait another year. The school will be much more impressed with "I have my CCRN" vs. "I am going to test for the CCRN in January". For all they know you will not pass or you may just be blowing smoke to get accepted, then not take it.
- Oct 12, '12 by ckh23Depends on the program. Some might place a high value on it and others not so much. If they ask just tell them you are scheduled to take. The invited you for an interview so they are interested, but the interview is really what makes or breaks you.
- Oct 12, '12 by missnurse01I would also let them know, if you already didn't in your resume or goal statement, that you plan to take it. My understanding is that it is looked upon favorably, so any brownie points you can get the better. good luck
- Oct 15, '12 by EtherFeverQuote from ShoogleBearFYI, I interviewed and accepted a few months ago. Out of 15 in my interview group, 14 had their CCRN. About 10 came with 2-5 years of ICU exp from larger level 1/academic hospitals. I think there are 4 or 5 of us in our class from my interview group. Trust me, you want to stand out, and not in a negative way like the only person who didn't have their CCRN. I think with CRNA school being so competitive, you almost have to have your ccrn just to be on par with other candidates.Hi guys, have an interview coming up soon. Have great GPA and couple years of critical care experience. I'm concerned I don't have my CCRN yet. I'm studying for it and plan to take it in January. My questions is: how important is that certification when it comes to getting in?
Thank youThank you
Also, that person didn't get in. It may have been b/c of other reasons, but who knows if the CCRN would've give him that edge.