Yale RN-MSN Fall 2013Register Today!
- by SaintlyJ Mar 9Hi! I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding RN's who apply to the MSN portion at Yale, as opposed to the GEPN program. Does anyone have any stats as far as how many apply and get accepted, specifically for FNP? Type of scores, GRE's, and experience? A lot of the information on here seems to be geared towards the GEPN's, which is great, but I wonder if its applicable to RN's applying to the program.
Any information anyone may have is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
- Mar 10 by Jakenlacaja16Hi - I replied to you on the GEPN thread but I will here as well. When I was doing my interview I asked and I think she said they accept around 20 for FNP, but I think that's a combination of GEPN's and RN's. How did your interview go? Good luck!!
- Mar 10 by elkparkI went there quite a few years ago as a traditional, experienced-RN student, and got an excellent education that has served me v. well over the years. They are pretty selective (my second year, there were no students in the first year of my track, because they hadn't accepted anyone who applied for the speciality (I don't know how many people may have applied, or what their qualifications may have been)) and, annoyingly enough, the school is primarily invested in the GEPN program. The number of traditional MSN students they take is based on how many "slots" are left over after they've accounted for all the GEPN students who were admitted the previous year (for their year of basic nursing) and promised slots in the specialty of their choice. I've heard of quite a few traditional students transferring out to other programs because of the perception that they were being treated like second-class citizens, or red-haired stepchildren, by faculty who had an obvious bias toward the GEPN students. That was not my experience; when I was there, most of the faculty were pretty open about preferring traditional students and not being fans of the GEPN program. However, when I look at the website now, I see that nearly all of the faculty who were there when I was are no longer there. I don't know if that's natural attrition, or if there was some concerted effort by the administration to get rid of faculty who weren't enthusiastic enough about the GEPN program.
I was in a CNS track, so I don't know anything specifically about the inner workings of the FNP track. Best wishes!
- Mar 10 by priorities2Are the faculty really so blatant about liking one group over the other? It seems like if all students are in the same courses once getting to the specialty portion there shouldn't really be discrimination.
- Mar 10 by Jakenlacaja16Hopefully I get an experience like yours elkpark! (If I get in of course.) I have noticed that most chats are GEPN focused.
- Mar 11 by SaintlyJQuote from Jakenlacaja16Jakenlacaja- I think my interview went ok, although I do wish I could have articulated certain points a little better. I don't think I'm the best when it comes to phone interviews because I can't really pick up on the social cues of when to start and stop talking like I can when I'm face to face with someone; especially when I'm nervous! Do you think "non-stop, babbling person" is a form of diversity they're looking to add to the upcoming class? =)Hi - I replied to you on the GEPN thread but I will here as well. When I was doing my interview I asked and I think she said they accept around 20 for FNP, but I think that's a combination of GEPN's and RN's. How did your interview go? Good luck!!
Either way, I wish I would have remembered to ask about the acceptance process for RN's. This wait is killing me! =)
- Mar 15 by Jakenlacaja16Yes, I completely understand. I feel like it's far more difficult with the phone interview to really be able to present who you are. Hopefully babbling is the diversity they're looking for... and hopefully they want two of them . I think we'll hear by mid-April, I would love to know what the rate is for RN's.
Feel better knowing someone else is dying to hear as well lol.
- Mar 15 by sofia2006I am An Rn and submitted my application on the last day before the deadline, is anyone else out there in the same boat as me? and have you heard anything? been interviewed?
- Mar 15 by Jakenlacaja16sofia2006 - I was interviewed earlier in the month. Which program did you apply for? Have they contacted you at all?
- Mar 29 by SaintlyJAny info or updates on MSN applicants, anyone? Time sure seems to be crawling by