Western Health Sciences - Direct Entry MSN - Fall 2013 - page 89
I didn't see a thread, so I started one. I am planning on applying this fall for the Direct Entry MSN program. Anyone else?... Read More
- 3Mar 27, '13 by Ceci81Bees, the program is at University of Hawaii, Manoa-- Master's Entry Program. I was accepted for the dual-degree MSN/FNP-APHN (advanced public health nursing). The first pre-licensure year costs $80,000 in tuition alone, then the following specialty years are about $1,650 per credit. It's pretty pricey By my calculations tuition for the entire 3 years amounts to about $187,500. Yikes. I checked out my financial aid package, and they've given me enough to cover it (1 grant, 2 loans) but I still want to apply for scholarships to reduce loan debt. Sounds like West Coast is just as expensive! At least you will have the BSN. UH Manoa does not award a BSN after the pre-licensure phase.
I hear what you are saying about getting started with your "life." I'm getting old! I want to get this done so I can have babies (I suppose I need to work on finding a husband first)!!! haha
I think the hamstring autograft is a great choice! Better than the patellar tendon--my boyfriend went that route with his ACL and he still has knee pain. I just keep waiting for my allograft to give... but so far so good.
- 2Mar 27, '13 by ucefrainHey everyone seems like not too many of us are left on this thread makes sense though. From someone who was an alternate last year I advise all of you to move on. I also received an alternate spot I accepted it but I know better. To me it was the same as a rejection letter. I advise you to move because it is hell waiting for a response from them and in my case it never came! The sooner you come to terms with the "no" the better. For those of you who got accepted anywhere else I advise you to take it an not look back odds are you just won't be accepted. Sorry to be so blunt but I wish last year someone would had bursted my bubble earlier. Good luck with any other options because an alternate from western is a dead end.
- 0Mar 27, '13 by oyvey06Ucefrain, Thank you! I appreciate bluntness. I had been thinking the same thing. At this point, I am considering alternative as a soft rejection and relaying on an acceptance from my alternative school. I got offered a spot in APU summer cohort but since I still have to take biochem in summer, I had to turn it down. I was told in the same conversation that I would find out in April/May if I was accepted for the Fall cohort. (Seriously!?! offered a spot but then told my status is still unclear) Between both of these schools, I am highly frustrated with this whole process.
- 0Mar 27, '13 by marisapmI've been taking it as a rejection and pursuing the ABSN program at SMU. I was wait listed number 20 there, which meant my overall rank was 44... I honestly thought I would get in to Western. Pretty disappointing... but I'm moving on and hopefully will start the ABSN in summer or fall then apply for two year MSN programs.
- 1Mar 27, '13 by ucefrainNo problem oyvey it's too bad you couldn't start the summer program at APU . Congratulations however! I am glad you have tasted the sweet taste of an acceptance! It is impressive that you were accepted even with some classes in progress you should be proud. I hope you get accepted for the fall cohort as well but either way things are looking up for you I can tell. Remember once you finish biochem you will be an even more competitive applicant try your best at an "A." Unfortunately my undergrad gpa isn't so hot so I decided not to apply to any other universities so instead I applied to a load of ADN programs an I am happy to say I got into some and waiting on others. I decided starting somewhere is better than being stuck in limbo even if I have to work from the very bottom up! I refuse to dwell in the past anymore. Good luck with this last course I hope you do great!
- 1Mar 27, '13 by bbarajas4608Ucefrain,
I am in the same boat! I came to my senses and started to apply to ADN programs. So far I applied to Citrus college. I, however, was rejected from Western early on, I want to say after interview dates were being sent. I too agree with you, starting somewhere is better then no where!
Like some, I was also going to attend West coast university! Sadly, I couldnt get anyone to cosign on a loan for me. It is a very promising program but the only thing that is crazy about it is cost!
I just want to say good luck to everyone and hopefully everyone gets accepted in one program or another! :-)
- 2Mar 28, '13 by raminajuliaQuote from ucefrainUcefrain I couldn't have said it better myself! The first couple days after I received my alternate letter people kept telling me "Oh I'm sure you'll get in" and I believed it for the first couple days (it doesn't help that my friend's sister was waitlisted for Pharm school at Western and found out a couple weeks before school started that she got in). That being said in my head I've accepted that I am not going to Western and if I do happen to get in later I'll view it as a pleasant surprise. But like people have been saying to me it's all going to happen the way it is meant to happen.For those of you who got accepted anywhere else I advise you to take it an not look back odds are you just won't be accepted. Sorry to be so blunt but I wish last year someone would had bursted my bubble earlier. Good luck with any other options because an alternate from western is a dead end.
I am fortuante enough to have already been accepted to the CSU Fullerton's ELM program - however, the downside to this program is that it is not a NP program. At the end I will have earned my MSN but will still be a floor nurse - just with a Master's. Which means getting to the NP level will take several more years (some work experience first followed by another 2 years of going back to school to get certified). But the more I think about it now maybe it is worth it - less debt overall (public school versus private) etc.
For those of you that only applied to Western I definitely suggest applying to more schools this year. I applied to 6 and so far have only heard back from 3 (just had my interview with Azusa so we'll see how that goes. Still waiting to hear back from CSU Long Beach and USF). If it is just a couple of easy pre-reqs thats keeping you from applying to other schools (like Psych or Stats or something) I definitely suggest taking them. I'm sure you can find online versions of most of these classes and then you'll be increasing your chances of getting into a school and potentially raise your GPA!
Good luck to everyone on here, I'm still definitely checking this board every once in awhile to see if other people have heard but I realized that by doing this I am kind of torturing myself. It's better to move on and move forward!
- 1Apr 1, '13 by Ceci81Quote from nerdy_bishThank you! I'm still holding on to a teeny bit of hope for Western, but just making my plans as though I will be moving to Hawaii. It's actually pretty exciting, but super scary.Congrats on the acceptance. I also applied to university of Hawaii but didn't get in. At least you'll have a career once you're finish best of luck to you.