University of Hawaii Manoa 2013 MEPN Program
- 1Sep 18, '12 by samdamanJust started the app for this school's program. Anyone else thinking of applying here? I'm pretty annoyed at how expensive the application is: $100 for the grad school and $65 for the NursingCAS application system! This will be one of my fallback schools in case I don't get into my favorites...but the surf life and the tropical breeze does sound very very appealing! Also, anyone know anything about this school's reputation?
- 0Sep 21, '12 by JillyRNAloha Sam!
I have also considered UH Manoa for Master's level nursing programs (APHN). The programs are CCNE accrediated and highly regarded locally. I currently live on Oahu and there aren't many options for other programs (University of Phoenix is the only other on-campus program I know of). This makes UH Manoa's MSN programs extremely competitive. I have spoken with a couple MEPN students who have been very happy with the program. The campus is in a very busy part of the island but close to a lot of great ammenities (15 minutes to Waikiki, 20-25 minutes to Sandy's without traffic). Good luck with the application process! In my experiences so far, all MSN programs are finding ways to nickel and dime the applicants (Grr...).
- 1Oct 6, '12 by lalidaHi! I have not started the application for the 2013 MEPN program yet but I plan on it soon! I will be graduating this Spring with a BS in Community/Public Health and a minor in Health Science. U of H MEPN program is the only program I am applying to (Yikes! I know!). If this doesn't work out I also just turned in my Peace Corps App and will be persuing that. I notice on the previous years forum just about EVERYONE was applying for one of the NP specialties. Is anyone going for the Advanced Public Health Nursing or Adult Health Clinical Nurse Specialist? I am trying to decide between these two at the moment. If anyone know of people in these programs or have heard anything about them I will really appreciate anything you can tell me! -Lalida
I just wanted to ask everyone else who are joining this forum:
what kind of bachelor's degree does everyone else have?
Have you applied to this program before?
which specialties are you trying to get into?
- 0Oct 11, '12 by samdamanyeah, I'm actually applying to Columbia's dual degree for FNP and MPH degrees because I'm really interested in working overseas and help fix public health issues from a more systemic level if possible. I'm pretty sure UH doesn't offer that off the bat but would be cool if they did. For Columbia at least you can get accepted to both or one or none so even if I don't get into the MPH portion I can still get accepted for the FNP part. Anyway, I just hope I can get into at least 1 school next year!
JillyRN, thanks for the info on UH Manoa...
- 0Oct 16, '12 by tokwaQuote from samdamando you have any idea for internationally educated nurse who wanted to take this program too..?Just started the app for this school's program. Anyone else thinking of applying here? I'm pretty annoyed at how expensive the application is: $100 for the grad school and $65 for the NursingCAS application system! This will be one of my fallback schools in case I don't get into my favorites...but the surf life and the tropical breeze does sound very very appealing! Also, anyone know anything about this school's reputation?Thanks!Sam
- 0Oct 21, '12 by atkpopI am also applying to UH MEPN for the APHN specialty. I am an "older" student, having completed my BA in 1995 and my first MA back in 1999. I've worked in non-profit and municipal arts programs in the past so this is a big career change for me! I am just finishing the pre-reqs this semester. Since I did not have a lot of science from my previous degrees I was starting from scratch but have done well in them.
UH is the only school I am applying to since I live on Oahu and don't have the option to move anywhere else in the immediate future. I am hoping since they made the application more expensive and more labor intensive this year that the applicant pool will be smaller - the people that would normally apply as a "back-up" may not do so! The part I am most concerned about is the video. I've been involved with some self-produced video pieces in the past and I know to make them look good they can be time consuming. I plan on getting started with that part of the application next week.
- 0Nov 4, '12 by lalida@atkpop You are making me sweat here. I am not savy at all with video editing softwares. I literally fell asleep at 6am this morning exausted after finishing that video. Your career sounds to fit with APHN thought even if it is different. I started out as a nursing student and switched to Community Health so my pre-reqs were already done last year. I am also only applying to U of H. I fell in love with Hawaii when I visited there. I grew up in Thailand and Hawaii felt almost exactly the same to me. I am also so ready to get away from Seattle winters so I hope I get in!
P.S. Did anyone's NursingCAS application got processed already? I am wondering how long that actually take because the website says 5 weeks but a friend of mine used it for a different school and said it takes less.
Good luck everyone!
- 0Nov 10, '12 by mrobinson69600Hey there! I just completed my application today and was told it has all been recieved and verified. The process took me about a month and I freaked out when I heard it was rolling admissions. Also I have never recorded a youtube video before and was really nervous about that. Hopefully the one public speaking class I took helped me out....fingers crossed! When I started applying I thought about what specialty to choose and I chose the FNP. Because it's the one I'm really interested in and intuitively felt like it was the right choice for me. But then after I submitted everything of course I go back and look at some of the past applicants and they are um....really competitive. I honestly doubt I'll get in but if anything next year my application will be stronger and maybe they will give me a chance then. In the mean time I'll just continue my education, work, and dream of becoming and FNP lol!